Palmy Reef Dad Against Son

tugger

My son Brock went deckie for a mate Graham in his boat and i had my mate Chris with me and the scene was set to take each other on. We headed out early to chase some mackerel on the palm beach reef and anchored up opposite each other.

The fish hit early but we boated 1 spottie out of the double hook up and lost many more later on. It was frustrating some times but soon we were putting a few fish in the box.

Looking across to the other boat were just ahead but soon things were about to turn around. We saw a huge school of spotties on the surface cruising straight for their boat and threw slugs at them but they were out of range for us. Brock and Graham had every rod bend over and for the next half an hour had mackerel mahem.

There was double and triple hook ups every time they got organised after dealing with the mahem. We started to get some action as well but we had fallen behind. Plenty of fish were lost to snip offs or unable to get to the rod on time but we still got a feed and pulled up stumps at 0830 leaving them biting.

Back over the bar we headed for the caravan park just down the road and filleted the fish under the shade in our usual spot. Many drinks later we finished the fish off and organised a bbq with a big crew from the park about 40 people.

The tally at the end was 7 spotties to Graham and Brock 6 spotties to Chris and i with the other boys also getting the biggest spottie. The boys rubbed it in all night and we had plenty of laughs with it at the barbie.

20180111_101106.thumb.jpg.9fe006d3f70a2cbefbf4b95c49a6b693.jpg

1 hour ago, tugger said:

My son Brock went deckie for a mate Graham in his boat and i had my mate Chris with me and the scene was set to take each other on. We headed out early to chase some mackerel on the palm beach reef and anchored up opposite each other.

The fish hit early but we boated 1 spottie out of the double hook up and lost many more later on. It was frustrating some times but soon we were putting a few fish in the box.

Looking across to the other boat were just ahead but soon things were about to turn around. We saw a huge school of spotties on the surface cruising straight for their boat and threw slugs at them but they were out of range for us. Brock and Graham had every rod bend over and for the next half an hour had mackerel mahem.

There was double and triple hook ups every time they got organised after dealing with the mahem. We started to get some action as well but we had fallen behind. Plenty of fish were lost to snip offs or unable to get to the rod on time but we still got a feed and pulled up stumps at 0830 leaving them biting.

Back over the bar we headed for the caravan park just down the road and filleted the fish under the shade in our usual spot. Many drinks later we finished the fish off and organised a bbq with a big crew from the park about 40 people.

The tally at the end was 7 spotties to Graham and Brock 6 spotties to Chris and i with the other boys also getting the biggest spottie. The boys rubbed it in all night and we had plenty of laughs with it at the barbie.

20180111_101106.thumb.jpg.9fe006d3f70a2cbefbf4b95c49a6b693.jpg

Smashing! They seem thick this year! 

Is the wind hooting down there now?

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Smashing! They seem thick this year! 

Is the wind hooting down there now?

Most likely i packed up camp and came home today it had been an awesome season with pelagics we have caught the lot with school spotted spanish mackerel, cobia, dollies and marlin caught by Brock and i doesn't get much better out of our little tinnie.

6 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

nice one we will be smashing them at the social next week,will you be driving down the coast or putting in up hear,iam putting in at rudy marrs

I always launch at runaway bay marina 5 minutes from the island and you can wash your trailer straight after dropping boat in it has security patrols being a marina and has shower and toilet facilties as all part of the small fee

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That is soooo awesome. Such a top session. Home by 9am. Amazing. Makes me so excited for this weekend. 

Bit of wind this week. Might be a bit of a swell. How many km's is it from the seaway to Palmy?

I think 12 km from seaway to palmyreally good day i do it in 20 minutes

36 minutes ago, tugger said:

That will be good we can meet and greet and i can show you the rigs we use as i think you were asking about them earlier 

That would be good @tugger, will aim to be at wave break Friday afternoon meet n greet and be ready to get out early Saturday morning. Will look into runaway bay marina as well.

7 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great haul of spotties Mark and I bet the banter was fun on and off the boat, which is all part of the fun and comaraderie that comes with fishing!!!

The boys out of the caravan park are top blokes we have alot of fun down there we normally have a few boats go out together and there is the banter that follows 

On 1/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, tugger said:

I always launch at runaway bay marina 5 minutes from the island and you can wash your trailer straight after dropping boat in it has security patrols being a marina and has shower and toilet facilties as all part of the small fee

ok will see might go there how much is it,and whats the address

59 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

ok will see might go there how much is it,and whats the address

$20 a night don't know the address just know how to get there but google 'runaway bay marina' its good for new trailers as you can wash it straight after dropping boat in rather than waiting till end of weekend and having salt on it for 3 days

10 hours ago, tugger said:

$20 a night don't know the address just know how to get there but google 'runaway bay marina' its good for new trailers as you can wash it straight after dropping boat in rather than waiting till end of weekend and having salt on it for 3 days

http://www.runawaybaymarina.com.au/boat-storage/#toggle-id-3

It might be $40 now. I was quoted this but there is nothing on the website to check. Perhaps @tugger knows a bloke that knows a bloke. :worship:

Saturday night we are doing a big cook up so if you there that night and want to join in everyone brings 1 or 2 items to throw in for the dinner. We will have many camp ovens and a few rotiseries over the coals so if i put up a list of possible foods to being nominate what you would like to bring.

Dave motu is bringing some pork to roast so any of the below would be handy to bring and i am doing a pudding in the camp oven for desert.

Whole frozen chook

Bag of spuds

Bag of carrots

Pumkin

Coleslaw

Potatoe salad

Anything else for suggestions

On 1/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, tugger said:

think we will go from there too as it might be windy on the trip home

Archived