natang

Hey lads,

I may be getting moved to Rockhampton for 10 weeks of work at the local high school and was wondering if anyone knows what the fishing is like up there? I will be land based I don't think I'll tow the boat the whole way up there as I will be on my own and it's a bit too much on my own sometimes..

I'll be based in Yeppoon.

From what I have read and seen on TV @natang, the barra and threadfin fishing in the Fitzroy has really taken off since netting was stopped so you might want to rethink taking the boat up. I had a mate who lived at Yeppoon and he used to talk about land based Spaniards and some insane pelagic fishing close in to shore. There was a recent AFN show about fishing that area that was pretty entertaining as well.

I am sure AFO has at least one member in Rocky so it wouldn’t be hard to find a deckie or maybe a deckie spot for yourself. 

Boats a 470sf Cuddy cabin Haines from 1997. I'm a big fella and have a few issues on my sometimes docking with current etc... Drove boats as a teenager but then nothing for 18yrs. Had it on my own in Innisfail in 2017 and was okay on my own in the harbour... But when the current was strong and windy it became a pain docking on my own. I'll do some more research.. Problem is I have short notice and if i go will be leaving Tuesday next week. So thinking about leaving boat at folks place and putting it up for sale or swap for a centre console....

Thanks Old Scaley for the tips I'll check youtube tonight..

Plenty of land based options but if you can get the boat up there do it.

the headland straight under the singing ship or at Roslyn bay is a good place for some land based pelagic or even demersal stuff, you will get blue salmon, occasional grunter or fingermark in these areas. The causeway is another option, plenty of spots to flick a lure. Fishing creek is another good spot, as is waterpark creek. You can wade these on a low tide if your game, not too many crocs in them usually...  

If you have a 4wd heading up to byfield/five rocks or Corio bay is well worth a look, there’s a few creeks south of emu park you can get to with 4wd as well.

definitely worse places to get sent to from a fishing perspective. 👍

11 hours ago, natang said:

I'll be based in Yeppoon.

Mate that sounds like a dream posting. Could you afford to buy a 4.2m tinny with a 40hp on the back? They are a lot easier to load and there are a lot around so pretty cheap second hand. 

Live baiting in the Fitzroy is supposed to be insane. Like Old Scaley says now that the netters have stopped it is going off. 

Man would I love to buy out all the tube netters in Moreton Bay...

I have an 80 series land cruiser and do a lot of 4wding.. SO Already looking at Byfield national park. Looks like it will be year posting.. I am looking at selling boat and buying a tinny. It will all happen quickly if it does so I am trying to prepare my kids from the ex for it as they are going to be gutted. But thanks for the info Benno573.

1 hour ago, natang said:

I have an 80 series land cruiser and do a lot of 4wding.. SO Already looking at Byfield national park. Looks like it will be year posting.. I am looking at selling boat and buying a tinny. It will all happen quickly if it does so I am trying to prepare my kids from the ex for it as they are going to be gutted. But thanks for the info Benno573.

Good luck with the kids mate. I hope it goes smoothly as it can. 

Defs sell your boat if you struggle to handle it or you could sort out the trailer for solo drive on/off. There are some great catches out there now but getting off the boat on the trailer while on the ramp can be tricky. 

Mate honestly im a bit jealous. I would love an adventure like that. Good luck with it. 

Archived