Found The Nursery

Old Scaley

I have been using up the last of my long service leave on the way to retirement and to any fishos out there who are close to the end of their working lives, I can thoroughly recommend tossing it in as soon as you can afford. No more sitting in boring meetings on those days when you know the Bay will be glassed out, just wishing you could be anywhere on the water.

Last Thursday was one of those perfect Brisbane weather days so I knew I had to take advantage of it. Contacted a few potential deckies but no one available so I was all set up for a solo effort. I do like the solo trip but also appreciate the company on other occasions. Anyway, at 5am @ellicat sent me a message to say he was recovering from his man flu and was keen to join me so I arranged to pick him up on the way through to the ramp at the port. The plan was to get to Mud around the turn of the tide and hope that a couple of bigger snapper may have been patrolling the area before too many boats moved in.

The ramp was relatively quiet (ah, the joys of the work day fish) and we put in just as the sun was coming up.  By the way if you are looking for a good bait shop around the Bayside try Mr Bait in Violet Street at Hemmant.  Good stuff at good prices. I lost my marks for Mud a while ago when I did a factory reset of the sounder so we sounded around until we found a nice drop off. Baits we’re deployed and I had a a plastic working as well. The baits were being attacked regularly but only pickers.  @ellicat was on a mission to show @jon how to wrangle a big tusky and it wasn’t long before he was battling his own pb. I have no idea why I can’t insert photos where I want them anymore but there is a pic below of the man himself with his monster from the deep.

Over the next couple of hours we landed babies of a heap of species including snapper, grassies, tuskies, lancer, bream, stripies and more, but nothing near a keeper. We decided to move to the front rock wall at the port where I had some success a couple of weeks ago.  Stopped at a favourite flathead spot on the way but no touches on bait or plastics.  The wall was a bit more productive with a few bigger but still not legal snaps.  We did get busted off a couple of times and lost connection with a few better fish. I managed a 41cm snap for a baked dinner but that was it for the day.  No crabs either.  Al in all, a very enjoyable day in perfect conditions despite the lack of keepers.  Not the most exciting reportbut then reports have been scarce the last few days.

9C02AEAB-0231-4E8A-85E5-77292A90CE64.jpeg

1E6DA6FD-2A09-4D62-B65B-DC56845BF9EC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived