Shellfish Reef Results

2 hours ago, benno573 said:

good stuff robbie, not surprising results really.  hopefully with a further weight of positive evidence over time the projects will continue to gain traction.

Providing of course you keep me away... I would likely adversely affect the 18-24 month results through thorough consumption testing... 😂

haha good luck diving to 5m and shucking an oyster. Mate get one for me haha. 

We have our own oyster lease now so can eat as many as we want. you just need to join OzFish to get access 🙂

19 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha good luck diving to 5m and shucking an oyster. Mate get one for me haha. 

We have our own oyster lease now so can eat as many as we want. you just need to join OzFish to get access 🙂

Clever... I see what you did there... 😉 No issue diving to 5m and shucking a couple mate, just as long as you aren't manning the air pump at the top!

So are you growing out the spat in the lease until they are established and then transplanting them to the newly created reef areas to continue to build on the reef?

11 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Clever... I see what you did there... 😉 No issue diving to 5m and shucking a couple mate, just as long as you aren't manning the air pump at the top!

So are you growing out the spat in the lease until they are established and then transplanting them to the newly created reef areas to continue to build on the reef?

Yes for some but this takes a lot more work than just relying on wild spat where the reefs used to be. 

At first we will be taking all shell out to the lease as we know there are stacks of species out there including 3 different rock oysters, pearl oysters and mussels. 

But the long term goal is to build up enough numbers of living shellfish in areas that need restoration to just dump the shells there and let it all happen. This process has worked really well in Pumicestone. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Yes for some but this takes a lot more work than just relying on wild spat where the reefs used to be. 

At first we will be taking all shell out to the lease as we know there are stacks of species out there including 3 different rock oysters, pearl oysters and mussels. 

But the long term goal is to build up enough numbers of living shellfish in areas that need restoration to just dump the shells there and let it all happen. This process has worked really well in Pumicestone. 

You are a wonderful man Robbie, the oysters are lucky to have you , so is this site

Ron

On 29/06/2019 at 12:59 AM, tugger said:

Plenty of fish life there Robbie but there would be plenty of crustaceans, worms etc as well as we saw last time we dived on that reef

Yes mate it looked full of life. Heaps of stuff. These shells mostly came from the new patch reef that went in after we dived it. 

I used hired gear from Adreno this time and hated it too.... I have to get my own gear...