South West Rocks Bar?

Garfield28

G'day all,

I am hoping to get up to South West Rocks on the weekend and just looking for some info on the Bar crossing and/or other alternatives please. 

I've heard the Bar crossing at SWR is pretty dangerous and has claimed lives in the past. I have never ever been there before and I don't know if it is safe for a 5.2 metre Savage boat to cross at all, or at any particular time. I have been trying to search up info and cannot find a great deal, and some people have suggested other ramps like the back creek and Goal but some seem to think that they are dangerous also, and can only really be used at certain times. If anyone could please give me some info as if it is too dangerous I will give it a miss. I wanted to get up there this weekend and chase some Spanish and Spotted Mackerel. 

If SWR is best avoided, can anyone please suggest a safer area where I may still tangle with a few Spanyards or Spotties please. I've heard Spotties can be caught at Forster too which would be a lot closer to home, but I'm not 100% convinced or know much about when is roughly the best time/month to get them etc. 

Any info would be really appreciated,

Thanks 

Geoff 

Hi Garfield28

I am sorry I can not help you with the bar crossing but one of Al McGlashan's fishing books has a section on South West Rocks.. It is apparently a very dangerous bar though so hopefully you can find an alternative. Use the slimy mackerel as bait, trolling around the schools (that is what he suggests, anyways). 

Have you crossed many bars before?

Good luck on the weekend,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply mate haven't been on for a while. Thanks heaps for that write up mate means a lot. 

I went and in the end my legs went to jelly and I couldn't cross it. My mate ended up doing it, and even though the locals said it was a placid day that day mate she was really really scary! 

Thanks again for that write up mate