Thinking Of Peel Island / Rous This Weekend

Hweebe

I don't normally launch from Raby Bay but have heard the ramp can get pretty busy on weekends. Anyone have experience launching from there?

Any tips on what i should target in and around Peel. (Is Peel productive given how close / accessible it is to brisbanites? )

I have no spots so I plan to do some charting and google maps to drift/sound ledges until i see something that perks the interest.

Hi there Hweebe,

I use the ramps at Raby Bay quite a bit, and can confirm that on good weather weekends, it does get very, very, busy.

Ive found the fishing around Peel can be productive at times, particularly mid week,  but on the weekends it can get a little difficult with the volume of traffic getting around,

that being said, it’s still worth the effort, as there are plenty of places near the island to check out, good luck if you do choose to head out.

Too close to the island and I have found it is mostly small stuff, but if you venture south of the island at night and seek a 17 to 10 metre ledge I have had some good sessions there with fish in the 50/55cm range plus catsharks and reef sharks. The reef sharks and smaller fish are there all day but the better stuff comes out at night.

One night the sounder showed a scary picture there too (when you're in a 4 metre tinnie) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buT8mK8sg5k

Yeah man, the pontoon is king in winter!, if your at the ramp early enough to fish the dawn, then play around a little, and back before lunch, it’s not too bad.

the last time I fished the weekend with a mate, we bobbed around the pontoon for about 30mins waiting for an opening, then it took me another 50 to get about 100 metres in the car park, we were lucky though, as we were leaving there were blokes backed up to the old court house waiting in line to get their boats, it seemed every man and their dog, and the dogs extended family decided to head out that day, couldn’t blame them though, it was a perfect day

Hey Hweebe

Sorry, I can't help you on the ramps but hopefully if you get there early you'll get a spot OK. 🙂 

If you type in "Peel" into the search bar on the top right, I'm sure there would be some results. I think you can get mackerel around Peel as well. I don't want to say something that may be wrong, and also, if it helps, here is a thread with some tips on it (I'm not sure if you've read it) - 

Hope that helped a bit,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Too close to the island and I have found it is mostly small stuff, but if you venture south of the island at night and seek a 17 to 10 metre ledge I have had some good sessions there with fish in the 50/55cm range plus catsharks and reef sharks. The reef sharks and smaller fish are there all day but the better stuff comes out at night.

One night the sounder showed a scary picture there too (when you're in a 4 metre tinnie) -

Seems like Peel mid week or at night is more the go as I've searched through the forum for "Peel". Might change my plans on location.

I go to fish and relax, not hang around boat ramps.

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Seems like Peel mid week or at night is more the go as I've searched through the forum for "Peel". Might change my plans on location.

I go to fish and relax, not hang around boat ramps.

Yep, Sunday just gone I've never seen so many boat trailers in an area before, absolutely gobsmacked!!  

Thanks @Old Scaley I'm paranoid about green zones so have plotted tracks for all green zones in and around North/Southern Moreton bay as well as your go-slow areas. 

Yeah i noticed in the Atlas for SEQ fishing that the diagram of Peel has lots of Rocks sticking out in the shallow sandy areas.

Mentions a houseboat wreck on the southern point near a green marker as well.