S_Dimo

Hello to all fisho’s

I am seeking advice on where to go and chase blackfish, what times work best? Run in or run out tide? Morning or evening? Etc..

I am just a newbie when it comes to blackfish. just started fishing for them 1 week ago so any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. 

thank you in advance.

Dimo

Personally I don’t know much about blackfish fishing but I’ve caught them when chasing bream . They seem to like similar conditions as bream  they like heavy wash and hang close to structure just like bream I would recommend checking out mustad fine worm hooks in size 8 I use them for bream but there great for blackfish and other speices the best baits I know for blackfish are green weed yabbies/nippers and bread but some people have caught them on vibes . But if you only want to catch blackfish use green weed as with nippers and bread you’ll get a whole host of difference speices  . Hope that helps. Also I’ve caught bigger ones in the afternoon but I’m not sure if that would make a huge difference 

12 minutes ago, S_Dimo said:

Cheers for that..  I’ve been out a few times with no luck, but have had luck with bream.  Have been using green cabbage and weed with a size 10 hook. No luck yet. 

Keep at it. You’ll gradually work out what works and what doesn’t. You could also search this site for blackfish and Luderick and see what comes up.

Hey S_Dimo

I'm no blackfishing expert, but it's something I'd love to sometime... I've read many a magazine article on them so hopefully what I say could be helpful. Many different names for them as well such as luderick, (so it may pay to see what locals are calling them so you avoid all confusion). 

It seems yabbies and green weed/sea cabbage is the best bait, on tiny green hooks. You can get a fair bit of cabbage for bait - berley half of it mixed with sand and tuna oil and use the other half for bait. A pencil float is ideal because you can apparently 'sense the feeble bite'. 

They will hang around turbulent rock walls like Breaming with bro said above, right in the wash. I'd love to hear a report from Sydney about them so good luck!

Attached is a video of Sammy Hitzke catching them - different location but similar techniques. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂