WhiteMountainDog

Hi, 

This is my first post and I haven't actually been fishing that much before recently. I've just started to get into it more. I didn't know whether to post this is freshwater or saltwater, but I thought brackish estuary fishing is closer to saltwater.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help with an ID on the Bream i caught tonight. I can't tell whether its yellowfin or blackfin bream. The information I have tells me that yellowfin are not common around the Glenelg River in Victoria, where I caught this, however it seems to have a yellowish, kind-of, set of fins. At least they are not totally grey black.. I have also heard of hybrids. But generally I have heard that blacks are more common in this area.

Any one know what it is?

20210126_234406.jpg

Looks like a black bream .yellowfin bream tend to be skinner and a lot more shiny and silver in terms of colour they also generally have very bright fins. Black bream tend to me more fat for their size and they generally have more of a bronze/brown overtone over their silver coloured body the fins on a black bream are usually brown/black/yellow yellowfin bream are usually yellow/black 

9 hours ago, WhiteMountainDog said:

Hi, 

This is my first post and I haven't actually been fishing that much before recently. I've just started to get into it more. I didn't know whether to post this is freshwater or saltwater, but I thought brackish estuary fishing is closer to saltwater.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help with an ID on the Bream i caught tonight. I can't tell whether its yellowfin or blackfin bream. The information I have tells me that yellowfin are not common around the Glenelg River in Victoria, where I caught this, however it seems to have a yellowish, kind-of, set of fins. At least they are not totally grey black.. I have also heard of hybrids. But generally I have heard that blacks are more common in this area.

Any one know what it is?

20210126_234406.jpg

that is a yellowfin bream.  Giveaways are the ventral and pelvic fins which show some yellow colouration, in a black bream they are dusky grey/brown in colour.

fish colourations and shape vary greatly depending on water colour/quality, food source and a whole host of other enviromental factors so aren't the most reliable when ID'ing fish.