Eating tailor

Grmby

2 hours ago, Grmby said:

Tailor season again, I’ve never eaten them before usually just catch them on the light gear and throw them back. I’ve heard mixed reports on there edibility. What’s the best way to cook them

Heya Grmby

I've never even caught one, but apparently the table qualities are very much increased if:

- Eaten fresh

- Bled straight away

- Iced straight away

Cheers Hamish

As @AUS-BNE-FISHO said, make sure you bleed them straight away. My 2 favs for tailor are:

1. Cleaned and cooked whole over coals on the campfire same day you caught it or next day. 

2. Filleted and then make little alfoil parcels. One fillet per parcel. On each side put a thin layer of tomato, a thin layer of basil and a few drops of Tabasco sauce. Cook 2 minutes per side on BBQ or pan.

I think they are underated as a table fish.  Hope this helps.

Yep, I like them too. Like Bonito, they go well with mediterranean flavours. Fry with seasoned flour (salt and pepper) and add red onion, cherry tomatoes, olives and if you like some herbs (oregano or basil), as well as some olive oil. Squeeze fresh lemon and serve with cous cous - yum 🙂.

Nice solid tailor there, nice work.