Harvest strategies for Queensland fisheries

Drop Bear

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Should we be afraid? 

It is hard to imagine that a committee would be formed and a bunch of stakeholders engaged, if there was no underlying intention to do something rather than retain the status quo. Whether that should be feared or not will lie in the decisions thrust upon us. Probably a case of agreeing with some and disagreeing with others. Let's just hope there is clear science backing any decisions.

I had a quick look at a couple of these strategies and can’t say that I would disagree with what they are trying to achieve, which is maintaining fish stocks at sustainable levels so that fishing is rewarding in the short and long term. Of course the devil will be in the detail which will become apparent when the strategies spawn actions.  The 2 that I looked at (mudcrabs and the inshore fishery) would have the biggest impact on commercial operators because they account for the majority of the catch for most species.

Just like epidemiologists during a pandemic, I am willing to trust the marine science and comply with whatever is enacted. Not that we have a lot of choice in that anyway. We can’t complain that the fishing has dropped off and then complain when someone wants to do something about it. 

Lot of talk about total allowable catch limits - i.e combined statewide limit for commercial and recreational sectors which, in theory, are the best way to protect the stocks overall. Also some talk of lower limits within Moreton bay for sand crabs relative to the rest of the state which again, in theory, is not a bad option if the data supports it.

will be most interested to see what data they base their decisions on and whether rec fishos (who generally account for a small portion of current catch) will be penalized harder than the commercial guys as has happened with black jewfish when TAC came in.