high jetty or pier. how to lift fish?

Jeremy_Z

Hi guys,

I am rookie of fishing. I have been fishing bream and flatty for 3 months. Just get a heavier setup and want to have some fun on school mackerel or bonito at shorncliff pier.

But have a question which confuse me a lot. At shorncliff pier, it is very high to the surface. If i get a mackerel or something a bit bigger, how can i lift them up? Can you guys recommend me any tools?

I am looking for a large TREBLE with 5 meter rope. is it legal?

And any tips for school mackerel or bonito? I have prepare some metal lure and jerkbait dont know if it will work.

Thanks guys

My mate and i have caught some ok mac tuna off there, the easiest thing to do is to walk around to the end of the pier and on the left is a platform with stairs that goes to the water, but i know thats not always possible with how people fish there so if your planning on eating the fish i would suggest buying something like this https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/fishing-tools/misc-tools-accessories/wilson-telescopic-12-foot-lure-retriever/BP90091432-black and putting a gaff head on it.

That crab pot sounds like a winner to me, you can use trebles and cliff gaffes like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115350497254?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=HBGHbtiQSIe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=aOpTS9-dRMe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I used the cliff gaff for landing Spanish mackerel off of the pier at Darwin all the time.