First time at NPD

Matt83

1 hour ago, Angry51 said:

When you say bare bones, I hope you have your safety  gear.

Enjoy your day and do a report with pics.😀

just out of curiosity, seems like all you MUST have is a signalling device, but only if operating before sunrise and after sunset...which isnt really applicable at the moment. any remaining gear is a recommendation right? 

https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Safety-equipment-recreational-ships

The regulations say you "should" have that set of safety equipment, rather than recommending. The one you need to be cognisant of is the skipper's general safety obligation. I would say life jackets would fall under that obligation in a body of water the size of NPD. Might be different if you were only fishing a western river that's only 30 metres wide.

Having said that, if something were to go wrong as a result of not having something that they say you "should" carry, you would be very nervous...

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

The regulations say you "should" have that set of safety equipment, rather than recommending. The one you need to be cognisant of is the skipper's general safety obligation. I would say life jackets would fall under that obligation in a body of water the size of NPD. Might be different if you were only fishing a western river that's only 30 metres wide.

Having said that, if something were to go wrong as a result of not having something that they say you "should" carry, you would be very nervous...

I know at least on the yak it's a requirement from prfma in the b.a.s. area for life jackets to be worn.

On 03/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, ellicat said:

@ellicatis completely correct.  The General Safety Obligation is there to cover all the bases that specific laws don't. Basically you should have a the safety gear anyone should reasonably have in the circumstances.

its an interesting read this general safety obligation. Essentially, while certain equipment may not be required by law to have on board, if something is to go wrong, the skipper can still be liable for any accident. So fisheries cant fine you, but if an accident happens, you can still get in trouble. like you said @Kat, just have the gear anyone should reasonably have