Shimano max lure vs max plug size

djpalmer88

Hi all, I mostly use fly rods but looking to get into beach fishing. I just had a quick question about the difference between a max lure and max plug size listed for Shimano rods. One rod I was looking at had a max lure size of 80g and a max plug size of 65g.

I just wanted to understand why there is a difference, does it have to do with the drag on retrieve or something. Also I assume a plug is like a popper? would that include stickbaits?

Thanks.

I'd not heard of 'plugs' before, but found this explanation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_(fishing)

They do include stick baits and poppers.

I'd imagine the rod's lure capacity relates to how heavy the lure/plug is to cast - putting different stress levels on the rod tip due to where the weight is in the lure - front, back, middle, uniform.

Slugs are generally uniform in weight and are commonly used at the beach (surf) for spinning for tailor and Aussie salmon. If the rod says 80g then you could toss a slug up to 80g without expecting it to damage the rod. If using a popper, stick bait etc the weight would not be uniform and therefore may stress the rid tip more, thus the drop to 65g. Like you suggested the drag on the lure through the water may impact the rod depending on how and how fast you work the 'plug', although the rod is meant to haul in a fish much heavier than the lure.