More Fish at Shorncliffe Pier

Daryl McPhee

17 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Those  whiting fillets would go a treat for a fresh feed. You definitely have honed in over the years of experience for when and where the fish are.

Do you keep a fish diary or do you keep it all in the noggin?

They are always tasty. The family's staple diet for the Spring months. 

I have kept a diary at times over the years, but don't bother too much. Although there is always day to day variability there are only a limited amount of parameters that dictate where fish are and when they feed. There is a tendency for many fishos to overcomplicate things and rely on the latest gadget rather than a basic understanding of the fish species. For a lot of locations, in my opinon, if you keep it simple you catch fish. 

4 minutes ago, GregN70 said:

That's really awesome. Got to live whiting, such a delicious little fish.

Pity they don't live around Yeppoon area or Central Qld.

They are up that way on most of the beaches around Yeppoon. Further north, Alva Beach is a known hot spot for them with a lot of people chasing them there. If you have a shot on those beaches around Yeppoon you should be able to consistently get a feed.  

22 minutes ago, Daryl McPhee said:

They are up that way on most of the beaches around Yeppoon. Further north, Alva Beach is a known hot spot for them with a lot of people chasing them there. If you have a shot on those beaches around Yeppoon you should be able to consistently get a feed.  

Done those beaches to death, using both locally caught live beach worms and yabbies from the nearby creeks. Never seen a Whiting there yet.

58 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Nice work as usual @Daryl McPhee. Reinforces the idea that 20% of fishers are catching 80% of the fish. A little know how and a lot of patience pays off. I know lots of people who say Moreton Bay is fished out and yet there are plenty of people who consistently pull in good fish. That is not to say they don’t have a donut every now and then, but that’s fishing. Hmmm. Now you are making me think it is time to go on a whiting hunt for the first time in a while. Thanks for posting.

It's always a good time of the year to chase whiting in lots of spots. I'll have another couple of shots at them this month before changing tack and chasing squire, grassies, squid  and other stuff land based at Amity Point. 

15 minutes ago, Daryl McPhee said:

Hi mate. Digging rockworms in the rocks and clay at Scarborough is a good easy option but you'll need a sturdy fork. 

Thanks Daryl. We've recently moved to Wynnum so I'm keen to try around there and then experiment with the fishing. From what I can gather, if we walk down to where Wynnum Bugs rugby grounds are, we are beyond the northern boundary of the zone where you have to go 100m from the rockwall before you dig. Will check it out at low tide today without any real expectations and start the learning process. I'd imagine being a very low tide and a Saturday afternoon there will probably be other doing it so will suss them out also 🙂.

To begin with I'm just going to use a garden fork.

5 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Thanks Daryl. We've recently moved to Wynnum so I'm keen to try around there and then experiment with the fishing. From what I can gather, if we walk down to where Wynnum Bugs rugby grounds are, we are beyond the northern boundary of the zone where you have to go 100m from the rockwall before you dig. Will check it out at low tide today without any real expectations and start the learning process. I'd imagine being a very low tide and a Saturday afternoon there will probably be other doing it so will suss them out also 🙂.

There are the Cribb Island worms north of Wynnum Creek and if you go far enough north you can get the true bloodworm in the really soft mud up in the mangroves. 

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Any luck?

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Got some worms. My back felt it a bit but if we start doing it more often it might bit by bit strengthen it 🤞. We walked from home (13mins to path along the edge of the mudflats - big downhill street which becomes a very steep uphill street on the way home …. 🙄). 
Spoke to an older (than me ..) guy who shared a couple of tips. Didn’t get much fishing in as left slightly later than planned, took longer than hoped to get worms (although pretty good really) and then had to shift spots to get away from the sea grass bottom (so our lines wouldn’t tangle in it). 026DDF57-BD00-4EEA-B078-9D84FE4072C3.thumb.jpeg.9478ebae57108d36beb64ccb84381f1a.jpegB18091D9-1816-4A42-8131-74F00AE0D68A.thumb.jpeg.baa2784285599ffa42cd9d94ee72d28f.jpegE519BD9C-6503-4361-92B0-53A304A04F97.thumb.jpeg.3aeca31672851cfc0af26029f8a7921a.jpeg
George got one 28cm bream and Liam two throwbacks so it scratched the itch and we have leftover worms to use tomorrow. Overall a successful first outing as wormers.

Sounds like some bait harvesting success. It looks like a good hill to go down, but not up. 

On 09/09/2022 at 12:26 PM, Old Scaley said:

Nice work as usual @Daryl McPhee. Reinforces the idea that 20% of fishers are catching 80% of the fish. A little know how and a lot of patience pays off. I know lots of people who say Moreton Bay is fished out and yet there are plenty of people who consistently pull in good fish. That is not to say they don’t have a donut every now and then, but that’s fishing. Hmmm. Now you are making me think it is time to go on a whiting hunt for the first time in a while. Thanks for posting.

Saw this old adage in real time on the weekend in the Rous channel about 20 boats anchored up in the same area whilst only ~4 or 5 boats landing the majority of the Mackerel meanwhile i struggle to pull in a couple before they bagged out around 10:30am.

Me and the misso looking at each other and saying - only way they bagged out that early was they were there and fishing before the sun was even out (and before I was even out of bed). As much as I love fishing, the thought of getting out of bed at 3am after a long week at work doesn't excite me.

It was still good seeing people pull in the mackerel though, If I'm not catching I still like to see other people around pulling them in. As proof that its me and not the area that i'm fishing has no fish LOL