Quickie

ellicat

22 hours ago, ellicat said:

Got home from fishing late Thursday and checked the forecast for when i could go again. Noticed Friday afternoon there was a window. Organised with eldest son,Mitch, to head out at 12.30pm. 

By the time we came to leave my place the forecast had changed a bit, but we decided to launch anyway and have a look at what reality was. It wasn't too bad so we went to Green where we could not get the bait to bite. Fortunately I had some frozen pike in reserve, so we deployed a couple and also sent out a floating pillie in case any mackerel were about.

Plenty of action for the next couple of hours. I landed 2...a 44 and a 52. I lost a big model when my line got caught on the bottom right near the boat. I prayed for about 5 minutes but in the end it rubbed me off on the braid. Damn, I hate tying braid to leader on the boat.

Not long after the exact same thing happened to Mitch. Very frustrating for him as he hasn't caught a fish for ages. It would have been nice to get him on a big one, but not to be.

A few other failed hookups and two wobbygongs later we decided to call it around 5.30. Mitch's wobbygong was only a little tacker but mine was a horse unfortunately. Mitch landed a little squire about 25 to finish.

Also had a safety check from the water police. 

IMG_0609.jpg.4a8fd494e43e60fde374d076794096fc.jpg

Nice job Brian, some decent fish there. 

20220930_191756.thumb.jpg.16338521b68db853848db3439762d853.jpg

We cooked up both for dinner, crumbed with chips and gutsed ourselves. 😄 

22 hours ago, ellicat said:

Got home from fishing late Thursday and checked the forecast for when i could go again. Noticed Friday afternoon there was a window. Organised with eldest son,Mitch, to head out at 12.30pm. 

By the time we came to leave my place the forecast had changed a bit, but we decided to launch anyway and have a look at what reality was. It wasn't too bad so we went to Green where we could not get the bait to bite. Fortunately I had some frozen pike in reserve, so we deployed a couple and also sent out a floating pillie in case any mackerel were about.

Plenty of action for the next couple of hours. I landed 2...a 44 and a 52. I lost a big model when my line got caught on the bottom right near the boat. I prayed for about 5 minutes but in the end it rubbed me off on the braid. Damn, I hate tying braid to leader on the boat.

Not long after the exact same thing happened to Mitch. Very frustrating for him as he hasn't caught a fish for ages. It would have been nice to get him on a big one, but not to be.

A few other failed hookups and two wobbygongs later we decided to call it around 5.30. Mitch's wobbygong was only a little tacker but mine was a horse unfortunately. Mitch landed a little squire about 25 to finish.

Also had a safety check from the water police. 

IMG_0609.jpg.4a8fd494e43e60fde374d076794096fc.jpg

20220930_191756.thumb.jpg.16338521b68db853848db3439762d853.jpg

We cooked up both for dinner, crumbed with chips and gutsed ourselves. 😄 

Nice fish Brian

7 hours ago, Hweebe said:

What's your goto braid to leader connection.

I know people rave about the FG knot but my dodgy on boat knot tying skills means i just do a simpler albright knot (albeit bulkier)

I'll try to tie an FG in the boat but for some reason it often is a fail, so I then go to the double uni. It's a bit of a strange one as I can tie them fine at home.