Best mission point camp spot?

The Mad Hughesy

On 13/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, benno573 said:

hey mate,

have done this trip myself on the yak.  we were in one of the spots closest to the i guess south eastern / bridge end and they were fine.  Just dirt sites but shady and the one we were in had a picnic table as well which was super handy given camp chairs on a kayak are difficult.  Would recommend mozzie coils as a must and plenty of 40% deet.  Try and arrive at higher tide for ease of unload as there is a bit of mud on a low tide.

take plenty of drinking water as none available.  there is a cold shower which was ok, other than cold.

just out of curiosity, did you just park your car at the donnybrook boat ramp or close to it with no issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Il be doing this same solo kayak mission to mission for a few nights in about 6 weeks time. Don't know how the mad hughesy went but keen to hear if any ones fished that area lately, if the green zone north has visible floaty marker bouys, if the yabby beds still producing or if any1 here's been doing anything similar lately. Feel free to p.m. any secret spots or tips.

There is also Stockyard Point and Gallaghers Spit camping areas close by too.

For kayaking I would opt for Gallaghers from a Toorbul launch....basically directly across the passage. Rising sides see good fish hunting the flats and mangroves there, plus at night it is a good wading area with torches for crabs.

The water between Donnybrook and Mission Point can get alarming with a stiff SE wind and there is quite a lot of boat traffic there. It is the time of the year for SE to NE stiff winds.

Stockmans and Gallaghers are also accessible by 4wd which might be a bonus for you.

1 hour ago, mangajack said:

There is also Stockyard Point and Gallaghers Spit camping areas close by too.

For kayaking I would opt for Gallaghers from a Toorbul launch....basically directly across the passage. Rising sides see good fish hunting the flats and mangroves there, plus at night it is a good wading area with torches for crabs.

The water between Donnybrook and Mission Point can get alarming with a stiff SE wind and there is quite a lot of boat traffic there. It is the time of the year for SE to NE stiff winds.

Stockmans and Gallaghers are also accessible by 4wd which might be a bonus for you.

Thanks for the tips on stockman's and Gallaghers. Il have a look for next time, for now already have site booked and heart set on the challenge to mission point.

On 16/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Jono4500 said:

I can't find a stockman's or stockyard point on bribie? Might be just looking in wrong area or maybe has a different name? 

Stockyard Point is the southern bank of Poverty Creek on Bribie.

It used to be named Stockyard Point decades ago...obviously reverted back to Poverty.

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/bribie-island/camping

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, The Mad Hughesy said:

Hey all,

im planning a solo camping trip from my Kayak in the coming months at Mission Point. Just wondering if anyone had advice on their favoured camp spots there? I've read that as far from the toilets as possible is a good idea

that and 5 litres of insect repellent as a must

Hi @The Mad Hughesy

Only joined the site recently but have camped at Mission Pt many times over the years, interested to know how your trip went and if you caught any fish

fatboy