Full bag of redfin this afternoon.

Bob9863

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Geez, that's fantastic fishing. Have you caught numbers like that before? Look like good quality too 🙂.

More, some days on the boat you can catch 100 or more pretty easily. But I'm starting to be able to do the same from the shore now too. 

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Great work Bob, are they considered as invasive still?

Yes they are, the NSW fisheries actually prefer it if you don't release any. 

There's, no bag limit on them and no possession limit on them either. I know families that go out and catch a couple hundred a day to dry in the sun. They then fry them up and eat the little ones bones and all. 

They actually prefer the little ones for that reason. But I find when you smoke them the skin peels off and the flesh separates from the bones very easily. 

Atm the river is running high and extremely fast so it's not much point even trying to catch a, trout, so these redfin will do just fine. 

What I do find interesting is the difference that jig head size makes, I was fishing with people using 1/4oz and 5/8oz jig heads that couldn't get a fish, but with 1/8oz-1/32oz jig heads they just smash them like a pack of piranha's. 

They like to be able to grab them drifting slowly down and take them without resistance. 

Fishing lighter always gets you more bites, fishing as light as possible is the secret to success. 

17 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

What I do find interesting is the difference that jig head size makes, I was fishing with people using 1/4oz and 5/8oz jig heads that couldn't get a fish, but with 1/8oz-1/32oz jig heads they just smash them like a pack of piranha's. 

They like to be able to grab them drifting slowly down and take them without resistance. 

Fishing lighter always gets you more bites, fishing as light as possible is the secret to success. 

agreed. i dont think people take this seriously enough. When i bream fish in the canals, i don't even use any weight. just a gomagatsu weedless worm hook through the soft plastic. the weight of the plastic and hook alone is enough

The other one is size, I use 2"-2.5" curl tais, occasionally 1.5" ones too. 

Most people go a generic 3" and in my experience that can cost you a lot of hits. I treat soft plastics a bit like fly fishing, match the hatch. 

The other big thing is I didn't get hits, on the move, slow wind, 2 second pause and that's when I would get hits, they even pick them up off the bed. 

I've tried other retrieves from flicking to jerking but stationery is when I get 90% of my hits.