Barra Fishing

Brian D

Here is an extract from a monthly mag about Awoonga Fishing., Nov 11-18th. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I found it quite informative.

We landed 14 fish out of 20 hook ups in 6 hours, fishing sloping points and their adjacent deeper bays. It was these habitats that produced most of the larger specimens, particularly over the secondary drop offs in 4-5 mtrs of water outside weed bed edges lying off windswept and wave pounded points.

Our lure of choice were Rod Gardens Barra Classics mainly 120mm size, switching between 10+ and 15+ depending on the location and conditions, noting that we used with a cast and retrieve method 24kg braid and 30kg leaders.

Yeah Brian, I have seen it. It's got a lot of information about Awoonga on it. I have my set up planned for the trip. My Abu 6000 and Ugly Stick with 35lb Fireline X.D.S. Also a Shimano Raider and Daiwa Zillion with 50lb Platypus Super Braid. :) Also I'm getting ym sounder off Steve on Wednesday next week so I'm pretty well set :)

Troy

Nar Brian, it's not the same reel as the Viento. I really wanna sell the Viento though. It'll help when I need to find more $$$ for Awoonga :P . Do you wanna buy it? :P . By all means it's a good Barra reel, I'm just looking for a reel with the strongest drag possible to save me burning my thumbs when they're slammed down on the spool when the Barra's running for cover. The Viento has 3.5kgs of drag. I'll lower the price of the reel to $210 just for you Brian :P .

The Zillion is a new release from Daiwa. It's got 6kgs of drag which doesn't sound like much but when you've got 6kgs of drag running though your guides it feels like a hell of a lot!

I got The Fishing D.V.D. Volume 4 from Jones' Tackle. It used to come free with last months issue of Fishing Monthly I think? :unsure: . But excess copies are now sold seperate from $9.95.

Troy

Archived