Cicada Topwater Bass Lure Recommendations

charlie.hans.fishing

Hi all. 

I've been looking into doing some bass fishing using cicada topwater lures. 

Does anyone have any recommendations which don't break the bank, or break the heart when snagged 😆, but are still quality lures that catch fish?

I've seen a savage gear pack at BCF, however they look cheaply made to suit to their price and the wings don't look functional to make that "pop pop pop" as you burn them across the surface. 

I've also looked at some on this website but I'm questioning their quality: https://www.tackleparadise.com.au/collections/topwater-cicadas.

Other topwater lures for bass would also be appreciated. 

Thanks

I buy a tub of crickets from the pet shop, use a small fly fishing indicator as a float and a small hook with 4lb leader for fishing for trout. 

With 6lb braid I get a reasonable cast like ultralight plastic fishing, it's a great way to get trout feeding on the surface. 

Something like that should work for bass. 

I've only used one of those Savage cicadas and the wings fell off after being clobbered by a few bass....not impressed ! The good thing about surface lures is that you normally don't loose them to snags, unless an angry bass bricks you. The Atomic Hardz look good although they are sitting around $20. Chasebait make a good one as well for around $16. My go to cicadas are Tiemco which cost a bit more but I know the bass like them. The body is a light rubbery foam which makes a very gentle splash upon landing and they swim well. 

Cast to your spot and let it sit until the ripples are all gone. Give it a few wiggles and let it sit some more. Start a very slow retrieve and stop after a few winds. Work it nice and slow. 

The savage gear stuff is rubbish, the chasebaits stuff is definitely much better. 

My biggest advice with lures is don't buy the cheap stuff, get decent gear and except that you will loose some. 

But top water lures tend not to get lost unless you hook the far bank or over hanging tree. They are perfect for fishing from a kayak however, then you loose bugger all. 

The same if you can walk in the stream. Changing trebles for assist hooks stops a lot of that too. 

I buy some brilliant top water lures when I'm fishing in Asia, they have some great gear for snake head that would be perfect for bass, hollow body frogs would be another great top water bass lure. 

Jackall and duo make some great cicadas too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I buy super cheap shrimp plastics from Ebay Chinese suppliers and fish these unweighted flicked into the snags for bass. Out catches the surface lures paddled about the water.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121501134369?hash=item1c4a082e21:g:5EIAAOSwQJhUeBDm&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwH%2FpLJP3hs7JhSajlQLQKYvWdn5DavqCujVhP%2BoST0FDScTO8YulzucbVLBQ6RVk5wi2voP0NJeKYVleOLKjfWC%2BcFMx%2FQHkfGeWcfjmMDKxa%2FAtkaazpTw3pWpF%2FhLUAw9ACEG4Dc9ruU5tae8SGU0Eq%2FIy3pNUDBuEtbiFpQ5W8ZAgIq2E43DrelDfUBuk23tWnz2LyvF2hSfwMwiK8GaBAbrJwHwX%2BQy%2BndZ7aT5BEyO3Uyiex1vDny31dUaEIA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR76Lse3yYQ

You can find these a lot cheaper at times, last batch i bought was 100 lures for $9 AUD delivered. I will need to order again in a few months.

Ensure you keep these dry until use, they will go milky if left wet for a few days.