AMA Supercross.

Junky

Just thought it was worth mentioning that two Australian brothers, Hunter and Jett Lawrence have taken out the 250cc AMA East and West Coast supercross titles  respectively. 

The series has a West Coast title and an East Coast title championship. It's the stepping stone to the premier 450cc class, and didn't that just get interesting as well, but that's another post. 

Hunter raced the East Coast this year, while Jett raced the West Coast. 

Jett hasn't finished outside a podium finish this year. He now steps up to 450s for the start of the motocross season. 

For those that aren't aware of the difference, Supercross is raced in stadiums, sometimes indoors, on tighter more technical tracks, while motocross is exclusively outdoor on longer faster top gear tracks. 

I remember being at a MX training day back in 2013ish and seeing Hunter on his little KTM65 just absolutely owning the track. I said back then that this kid will take out the AMA one day, not realising that his younger brother was just as good, if not better. The latter applies now. Jett joins an elite squad of four, Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Ryan Villopoto in 4 consecutive 250cc titles. 

What an awesome story they both have. Follow the lads as they take on the best of the best and hopefully keep the record books changing. 

Aussie Aussie Aussie.... 

Cheers 

Damo. 

Well the 450s all changed yesterday. 

A young 450 rider by the name of Chase Sexton has just seen a fortunate change come his way in dramatic style. 

Sexton has been a front runner all year but bike (front end) problems has seen him hand over podiums and an accidental jump on a yellow flag resulted in a 7 point penalty. 

Meanwhile Eli Tomac has been out in front battling with Cooper Webb, and Justin Barcia lingering in behind them with Sexton running 4th. Still an awesome effort to be 4th considering the upsets he has had this season. 

Well last week saw the departure of two riders. 

Firstly, Cooper Webb went down in his heat race and was struck in the head by Adam Cianciarulo's front wheel. It looked awful. Almost like a broken neck. Webb was rushed to hospital in a stable condition and has since been released however his season may well over. 

Then in the 450 main event last week, Justin Barcia, who has been riding the rims off his new GasGas, met an unfortunate end when he endo'd over the dragons back (that's a type of jump that is shaped like a dragons back). He was taken from the track by medics and news had it that his collarbone was broken. 

Season over for Justin. 

Fast forward to yesterday and Eli Tomac, the reigning champion and number 1 plate holder and points leader for the season, and likely to be crown champion in the day, has snapped his Achilles tendon on the second lap of the 450 main event. He actually managed to ride himself to the medics trailer but news was out that he was over for the season.

This now paved the way for Chase to take the championship. Chase has a clear lead of some 37 points in front of Ken Roczen. He doesn't even have to race next weekend, however no doubt he will, and claim victory. 

I'd also like to add that Chase, along with the Lawrence brothers all ride Honda HRC factory bikes. 

The first time in 20yrs since Honda has taken the championship. 

What a season for Supercross. 

Cheers. 

Damo. 

13 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Couple of likely characters there, Junky. Good luck to them.

Yep, these boys are your average Aussie kids, working hard to be the best. 

I'm so happy for them all. 

The family gave everything up to chase this career from selling everything here and moving to Europe, and now settling into the states and the boys can pay Mum and Dad back. 

They are a beautiful family and I can't wait to see Jetson on the 450s. 

Australia hasn't had a champion like this since Chad Reed, and sadly, our Australian media do not give them enough credit. 

3 minutes ago, Junky said:

Australia hasn't had a champion like this since Chad Reed, and sadly, our Australian media do not give them enough credit.

Yeah, I'd never heard of them (not  that I follow the sport), but there is no WWOS on TV all Saturday or Sunday show like there used to be.

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

Yeah, I'd never heard of them (not  that I follow the sport), but there is no WWOS on TV all Saturday or Sunday show like there used to be.

I loved that show. 

Max Walker and Ken Sutcliff. 

They covered it all. 

What's happened to our sporting country? 

Even Daniel Ricardo gets shunned as well. 

It's the reason Doohan left and went abroad. There is just no support here, yet we have a high average of multi millionaires that could finance such teams and events. 

I said the same thing when Toby Price won Dakar. 

It's a shame really. 

If it's not a swimmer or golfer, your thrown in the rubbish pile. 

Shame Australia. Shame.