New 90-115hp Motor Options

kmcrosby78

Hi all, sad news is that my 2003 DF90 Suzuki 4-stroke has carked it, good news (apart from the fact I have to pay for it .....) is that I get a new (or newer one) ...... 🙂 When I get some time I'll put up some info about one of the two issues that caused it's demise - it is a problem that wasn't fixed/removed by Suzuki until 2008 so may be helpful for anyone owning one of these motors.

Am in a bit of a hurry to research and decide what I am going to do. Boat is currently sitting with Bayside Suzuki Marine and I have the option to have a brand new 2019 model DF100B-L (20 inch shaft) for $14600 fitted (minus about $600 for turning my 90hp into parts). Am wanting to know the following:

• Any strong opinions on which brands are better (Suzuki, Yamaha, etc). And any particular sizes - I can rebadge it to allow for a 140hp motor but realistically I think 100-115hp would be plenty. The boat is a 5.6m (well 5m with a 60cm extended transom) Fisher Centre Console with 5mm bottom, 4mm sides and approx. 120-140L underfloor fuel tank.
  • Any recommendations on where I can get it done for a better deal?
  • Long shot but does anyone know anyone wanting to sell a suitable second hand motor (I'm told there is a lack of quality options in the second hand market and therefore the market price for these is inflated, so I have a hunch I'll end up going new).

@tugger - how long ago did you get your 100hp Yamaha, how's it going and do you recall what you paid?

Cheers all, will update as I work through this.

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hi all, sad news is that my 2003 DF90 Suzuki 4-stroke has carked it, good news (apart from the fact I have to pay for it .....) is that I get a new (or newer one) ...... 🙂 When I get some time I'll put up some info about one of the two issues that caused it's demise - it is a problem that wasn't fixed/removed by Suzuki until 2008 so may be helpful for anyone owning one of these motors.

Am in a bit of a hurry to research and decide what I am going to do. Boat is currently sitting with Bayside Suzuki Marine and I have the option to have a brand new 2019 model DF100B-L (20 inch shaft) for $14600 fitted (minus about $600 for turning my 90hp into parts). Am wanting to know the following:

• Any strong opinions on which brands are better (Suzuki, Yamaha, etc). And any particular sizes - I can rebadge it to allow for a 140hp motor but realistically I think 100-115hp would be plenty. The boat is a 5.6m (well 5m with a 60cm extended transom) Fisher Centre Console with 5mm bottom, 4mm sides and approx. 120-140L underfloor fuel tank.
  • Any recommendations on where I can get it done for a better deal?
  • Long shot but does anyone know anyone wanting to sell a suitable second hand motor (I'm told there is a lack of quality options in the second hand market and therefore the market price for these is inflated, so I have a hunch I'll end up going new).

@tugger - how long ago did you get your 100hp Yamaha, how's it going and do you recall what you paid?

Cheers all, will update as I work through this.

7 years ago it is a top motor I paid $13000 fitted to boat. The mercury 4 strokes are good motors as well now..

Hi kmcrosby78

Pity the motor has died, but at least you'll get a new/newer one. 🙂 Sorry, I can't help with a motor but maybe Brisbane Marine or one of the second hand boat stores may have one. Here is the link I found to the website (sorry if these aren't what you want/completely different)-

https://www.brismarine.com.au/outboard-motors/

Good luck on getting the new motor, 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Cheers guys - am looking through the options, including Mercury. Compared to my 2003 90hp Suzuki, the 2019 100hp model is 35kg lighter and John reckons will be about 30% more fuel efficient ...... 🙂. Do you think they would all have similar servicing intervals/costs?

Also, I've just put a separate thread up outlining the particular corrosion issue 🙂. Title is 'Pre-2008 Suzuki DF90-115-140 Corrosion Issues'.

I have only managed to use my new Mercury V8 200hp four stroke twice so can’t comment on their reliability. But I can comment on their fuel usage which I am extremely happy with. Ellicat worked out it used 1.2 litres per mile. Which for a 21 foot fibreglass boat, with five big dudes and 200 litres of fuel on board, cruising at over 35mph and topping out around 50mph, is bloody good economy in my books.

cheers

Greg

After much deliberation, I got the OK from the minister for finance (the wife ....) and pulled the trigger on the new Suzuki DF100B motor today - Jon Eadie is hoping to have it installed by Friday, fingers crossed. Got a good deal considering they had basically finished the service on the 90hp before taking the powerhead off, so between that and some money for turning the 90hp into the parts, I am overall happy with $14k walk away price for the new motor. 

Will put a piccie up once I've picked it up 🙂. 

7 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

After much deliberation, I got the OK from the minister for finance (the wife ....) and pulled the trigger on the new Suzuki DF100B motor today - Jon Eadie is hoping to have it installed by Friday, fingers crossed. Got a good deal considering they had basically finished the service on the 90hp before taking the powerhead off, so between that and some money for turning the 90hp into the parts, I am overall happy with $14k walk away price for the new motor. 

Exciting times Kelvin. That should see you sweet for a few years now. 

It had better Steve ....... as my wife said when giving the final OK, 'it is on my head' ............ 🙄  I don't think I'll be forking out for an electric motor anytime soon now ........... and probably better not buy anymore fishing rods for a while either (which is a shame after losing a combo overboard recently ..).

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hi kmcrosby78

That's good to hear it is going ahead, and good you're happy with the pricing. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

5 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Gees, it looks shinier than the Force.

Good luck with it. I can see where your priorities were - 2 shots of the motor; one shot of the fish. 😂

Motor is bigger ........ 🙂   Hey something for you to work out (or AFO techy) - your post (above) hasn't got any 'Like' options like posts normally would?

15 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hey something for you to work out (or AFO techy) - your post (above) hasn't got any 'Like' options like posts normally would?

Probably just some glitch, not worth worrying about hopefully. Let me know if you come across it again though. Are you on a pc or tablet/phone ?

8 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Very nice. But I think you need to stump up for a new motor support bracket. Looks terrible next to the shiny new toy.

Yep, but matches my trailer .......... 🙂 Yeah I'll look around but from what I searched on the web just before, none seem to have the same notch at the end. I'll take a photo next time I use it (the boat is at my parents place) to see if anyone knows where I can get one. Failing that I'll paint it and try and get some new rubber for it.

I only swear by 3 brands and in this order. Honda, Yamaha and Evinrude. Personally, Honda is the best purely because they are the most reliable. Most parts are metal and not plastic crap. They are made in Japan and you pay a little extra for the quality. The fact that our coast guard uses Honda up in Cairns just tells the story. Yamaha is probably one of the most popular brands and for good reason. They are well priced, also made in Japan and extremely reliable. You only need to go down to the local boat ramp and see every tinny with one for yourself to be convinced. Evinrude is the underdog. The E- Tecs are some of the best outboards on the market. I know people who have had ones for many years with no trouble. They have both the 2 stroke power and reliability and the 4 stroke's quietness and fuel- efficiency. Many charter boats (including barra guru, Ryan Moody), use the E- Tecs and for good reason. I have never had any experience with Suzuki but my mate has a Suzuki on his reef boat and loves it. They have had it for a few years and had no trouble at all. Good luck with the new outboard.

• 4 months later...

Hey KM how's the new donk going? Not sure if you've broken her in fully and got the chance to give her a full run but I'm wondering about what performance and fuel consumption your getting? I've got a 2017 Suzuki 100A but I'm not really happy with it. On a 535Xs Barcrusher I'm getting 2km/L at best and max rpm of 5400. I'm thinking I might have to go for a smaller prop and hopefully get a bit more out of it. I used to get 4km/L with my yamy on my old boat.

What did you get with your old outboard? Any other ideas?

4 hours ago, Aus Dave said:

Hey KM how's the new donk going? Not sure if you've broken her in fully and got the chance to give her a full run but I'm wondering about what performance and fuel consumption your getting? I've got a 2017 Suzuki 100A but I'm not really happy with it. On a 535Xs Barcrusher I'm getting 2km/L at best and max rpm of 5400. I'm thinking I might have to go for a smaller prop and hopefully get a bit more out of it. I used to get 4km/L with my yamy on my old boat.

What did you get with your old outboard? Any other ideas?

Hey mate, I still haven't put many hours on it and only do short trips in the bay so haven't done any figures on fuel usage I'm sorry, and the same with the previous 90hp. Sorry I'm not more help. 

That's a big difference between your previous Yamaha and your Suzuki.