ally craft seat post options

MattInOz

Hey again guys... back to pick your brains some more. I've got an "Ally Craft 4.35 Intruder" from 1999 that I'm trying to bring back to seaworthy as my first boat. I've more or less finished with rewiring to the boat (previous owner belonged to the spaghetti and hidden fuses school of electrics) and it's currently in at the local mechanic getting new seals in the gearbox (pretty sure gearbox oil shouldn't be white) and getting stiff steering sorted out, but now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the seating. Currently it's got a pair of the cheapest seat posts possible (if you look at the Whitworths site they're listed as "Springfield 7" seat pedestal" with swivels on them). They're fixed to the b oat with 4 wood screws into the plywood floor and when you sit on them these things flex all over the place... they even come with a sticker warning you not to use them at speeds greater than 5mph! The floor itself certainly isn't structural... it's two pieces of carpetted ply, each with a row of screws down the centre of the boat to hold it in place and nothing else so I'd really rather avoid another pedestal that relies on being screwed to the floor as that seems like a good way of spending a whole lot more money to have the same problem. Lifting one of the pedestals off reveals a hole in the floor approx 2" across (I've not measured it yet and the boat's not here), beaneath which is a substantial bit of vertical metal tubing welded into the boat. I'm assuming that Ally Craft made the boat with some sort of seat post that was inserted into the hole in the floor and held in place somehow, however since they're no longer in business I can't email them and ask. I notice that Quintrex and Stacer boats both use a "50mm plug in" seat post... does anyone know if this will suit the Ally Craft boats too? If so, how is the seat held in place to prevent it just lifting out in rough chop? Does the tube have some sort of flange to screw to the floor, or am I missing a fitting?

If I can get this sorted out I'll re-use those cheapie pedestals (sans swivels) to mount a bench seat at the stern against the transom.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

I don't know the answer, but would imagine they would.

I have two spare Quintrex seats in good condition that you can have for forty bucks. Happy to let you take one to see if it fits. I'm in Holland Park, but won't be available this weekend or next week, though.

That's really generous of you, thanks, I might take you up on that offer. I see those posts have a flange on them, are they screwed down to the floor or something or is it just a locator? Right now the boat's still at Ipswich Marine (new seals on g/box, stiff pivot tube, and a mystery 2 stroke oil leak). I just spoke to them and I won't be getting it back till next week at the very earliest (waiting on seals being couriered up from Melb) or possibly the week after (owner's going for eye surgery apparently) but after I get it back I'd be very happy to come grab one of those off you for a test fit, and buy them both if it works. WIll let you know when it's back. 🙂

Thanks again
Matt

1 minute ago, Angry51 said:

I think that black flange is just a cover to make it look pretty.

The pipe goes into a pipe in the bottom of boat.

That pretty much describes what's under my floor. Any idea what (if anything) holds them in? Or can they just lift out at will?

10 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

In a fiberglass boat I had the pipe base was molded in the 

boat hull and the seat pipe was held in with a set screw x2

which was adjustable,

That was a lot of years ago so they might be different now

Does yours have a set screw nut welded to the pipe base.

To be honest I didn't pay that much attention at the time as I was more interested in looking at the bilge pump... was actually surprised to find the hole & pipe there at all and it was only after I refitted the floor I started thinking that maybe wobbly seats weren't such a great idea. I'm fairly sure there was no nut etc on the pipe but I wouldn't bet my life on it. If it was it'd be a royal pain in the behind to fit the floor after setting the post in place... trying to get the edge under the side pockets AND over the seat post all at once. If it just slots into place I'm thinking I'll get a small right angle bracket and screw it to the floor and the post just so I don't get a surprise ejection seat if I hit a decent wave.

Just thinking about it, there has to be something to stop it, or sitting down heavily would drive the post through the bottom of the hull.

2 hours ago, MattInOz said:

I see those posts have a flange on them, are they screwed down to the floor or something or is it just a locator?

That's just piece of plastic to dress the hole.

The seats sit in a cup/sleeve under the floor about 100/120mm and can just be lifted straight out. I never had any trouble with them coming out in some pretty bumpy rides. On one occasion the fat guy (me) was sitting in the passenger seat when we hit a decent bump at roughly 20 knots, out off Bribie. The base of the cup, being eleven years old and obviously worn, gave out and I dropped until it hit the frame of the hull. A design fault worthy of regular inspection. I have since changed seats and design, that is why I have these to offer. 🙂

You'd just need a good measure and the right size hole saw, to install your floor around them.

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

You'd just need a good measure and the right size hole saw, to install your floor around them

Ahh ok then... assuming they're the same size it'll just drop in then... the floor already has the holes for them, just have to remove the pedestals that're covering them. WIll have a good inspect of the bottom of the mountings too... that seems like a potential issue worth looking at. Perhaps some sort of high density rubber in the bottom to absorb shocks.

Thanks again, will be back in touch when I have the boat back to try them out on.

Matt