Moreton island Headland and east Coast fishing Easter period

Tim Foster

Hi guys,

Im a pretty keen fisho ready to dedicate 5 days to straight fishing at Moreton. Im equipt with most set ups, light tackle 3k reel 2-4kg rod, 4k reel 10-20lb rod, 6k reel 10ft surf combo for tailor and medium jew + heavier rod for big jew, 10k reel pe6 set up.

What are your recommendations for spots, Im super keen to give the headlands a crack (trevs, kings jew). Having fished fraser a lot I'm expecting during the day to fish gutters and surf for flathead whitting and dart but want some advice for the heavy hitters.

Any thing is appreciated its my first time on the island.

Cheers

Don't expect it to fish like Fraser and you'll be fine. Headlands are a good chance for a snapper at low light and pelagics (tuna and mackerel) during the day. The jew seem to turn up with the tailor but it has been blowing foul for months here so anything can happen. Benno's trip reports are up there with the best for info, images and intestinal fortitude (camping with kids!) so read and enjoy them. Look forward to hearing how you go @Tim Foster

In the mid 80's I gave the Cape a good nudge for a season specifically wanting a jumbo jew....i didn't get a jumbo on board but several 6 to 8kg models.

I didn't have the luxury of being there for specific bite periods, only the best I could do on that weekend.

Yellowtail kingfish were a problem there .... just too big to master off the stones. Cobia though were generally landed.

Macks were entirely hap hazzard if you could get one on the line or land it.

Evenings for me were the best for snapper .... jew were after 9pm .... pelagics early morning and up until about noon. I seldom got much more than bream or dart in the early to later afternoons....I also not too interested in fishing the arvos too much anyway.

No doubt things have changed a lot there since the 80's so all of the above might be trivial.

I wonder of any of my old spots there still exist now? I know one broke up and slipped into the sea in the late 80's.

If you have a decent storm you should check the bay side beaches afterwards for cockles that are washed up...was easy to collect a hundred or so for bait after a storm.....absolute best bait for snapper off the stones, 3 on the hook and send it out.

On 22/03/2024 at 10:35 AM, Andrew_P said:

Don't expect it to fish like Fraser and you'll be fine. Headlands are a good chance for a snapper at low light and pelagics (tuna and mackerel) during the day. The jew seem to turn up with the tailor but it has been blowing foul for months here so anything can happen. Benno's trip reports are up there with the best for info, images and intestinal fortitude (camping with kids!) so read and enjoy them. Look forward to hearing how you go @Tim Foster

glad you enjoy them mate! sorry for any pictures that may have contained an @ellicat shaped object, i'll do my best to limit those in the name of human squeamishness.

@mangajack - a lot of the areas where you used to get kingies and the like off the stones were painted green some time ago.  there are still some areas that hold occasional kingies but very hit and miss.  jew depends a lot on the "gutters" around the rocks, often it is too shallow for them to hold in close but usually after a decent swell (i.e now) there will be some deeper holes you can safely fish.