tillapia advice needed

faulked

hi guys with the kids comp coming up at kurwongbah and the fact they need there tillis killed off to help the togas and fingerlings im chasing as much info as i can get on catching these guys ive never caught one so any thing help line class hook size/type bait and where to fish the deep weeds etc any thing will help ill have a few kids there some for their first fish so id like to help them get something so they dont get bored .thanks for any help:)

jason

mate all the tillapia i have caught have been on lures and the humble worm u can catch them on any rig and just about any place ,i have caught them in shallow water to deep water, hope it helps u a little p.s. i have heard they r good eating cheers

best way to catch them is to berly ( usually pellets) at around 1.5m deep of water where some nice drop offs r 3-4m around. then put some pellets used for berly in the container and soak them till they go soft, then put some flour in to make them easy to form a bait. put them on 1-2 tiny hooks and fish them under a float. make sure u fish the bottom.

the record in china is somewhere around 200kg in 1hr

Mate, they sell worms there on the day (or did last time), the quandary with the kids is that they have random prizes (ask everyone to bring up there biggest fish at that time, and give a prize to the biggest one brought over then) and fishing clinics etc near the picnic ground, but that is all shallow water there, most of the Tilapia were caught around the first headland last year in the deeper water, but the kids cant hear the PA system, or get there quick enough. Of course they could run it entirely different this year.

this year it looks like the water is 3 or 4 foot deeper near the picnic ground, so hopefully the Tilapia will be there as well!

I used to live just down the road from the lake, and it was catching tilapia on home made fly-like lures on whiting gear that got me into tying my own flies, and fly fishing.

They'll pretty much take anything, I've found you tend to get consistently better quality when fishing artificials, but the aim is to get them out of the lake, not catch 1 trophy fish all day.

A #1 hook, mediumly weighted, with a silver body and trailing pink tail used to accound for most of my fish, weighting the shank so they sit hook up lets you fish the bottom much easier.

Haven't chased the bastards in years, if there's nothing else on that weekend I'll head out and have some fun.

T

Archived