Borumba 20/1/08

Feral

Well Ferg and I headed off about 6am to Borumba. Got there about 7:30, to find the ski lice already turning the main bay into surf.

The water was a lot higher that last time I was there, with little parking available beside the ramp. So off we went, working some of the flooded grass banks on our way up the dam.

DPI rolled up not long after, checked SIP's boat rego etc. Pretty thorough job of checking safety equipment and for fish, made me pull out under the bow and show them in my bucket I carry all my safety gear in, making sure I did not have any fish in there.

About 10 mins later a pair of boats pulled up for a yarn a couple of hundred yards away, we could hear one whinging that they had copped a fine for not having their SIP's with them. Lucky for us we had checked ours before coming!

Anyway the fishing was very tough, fish around on the sounder, in 10 to 12 foot of water but not interested in anything, even the bait fisho's we spoke to were getting no action. Ferg got a just legal bass off the submerged grass in about 10 foot of water on a 2 piece rapapla minnow, I got an undersize one in 1m of water off the submerged grass using a shallow running minnow.

P1100085.jpg

P1100086.jpg

That was it for the day, two bites, two fish. But with the water so high we were able to get a good look right up Yabba creek. Veery pretty country.

The amount of timber that was only about 1m out of the water was a bit of a worry, the dam's full level is about 2-3metres higher, so if the dam rose another metre or two it would be deadly for the unwary.

P1100103.jpg

As it was after the DPI blokes saw us they went full song through the trees, we followed the exact same path, at about 5kph, and we hit two submerged stumps, I reckon they were mad.

Later in the afternoon we were fishing up one of the little inlets and we heard the usual sound of an outboard on full song, then a h@ll of a bang, no more outboard noise! When we went out into the main area a little later there was no sign of a anyone, so we reckon someone had a very lucky escape. (Or had been towed away already!)

Back at the ramp the ski lice were doing their usual circle work, making life difficult for everyone trying to launch or retrieve boats.

My goal in life is to win lotto, buy a wake boat, and spend my retirement waiting for ski boats to try and launch or retrieve at ramps, and return the favour!

Hard work those bass today?!...perhaps not the right terminology! Surely fishing is not work, even if it's hard...just look at the scenery (given, I can't hear the ski lice:angry: ) Ah the serenity.

Nice report mate, good luck with that lotto, my fingers are crossed for u.

Rocket

Good day Feral.

I had some water boys stop us on Glenlyon about 15 years ago. They checked us and then wished us luck. Before heading off though they said "We doubt you'll catch anything" and then sped off. The miserable bast^&*&^s were right! We didn't get a touch over the next 2 days.:S

Archived