Lake Leslie

Aaron H

Hey guys,

Anyone here fished Lake leslie, have been given a chance to campoing this long weekend and was thinking Somerset but Kirkleigh is pretty full and would be full of skiiers. Thinking Lake Leslie down near Warwick, apparently it has jumped from 9% to 26% and fish are feeding on the new ground (according to coastwatch anyway) and has room in the camping ground, anyone been there and know what the skilice population is like down there?

Tossing up between there and Glenlyon, but havent rang about vacancies at Glenlyon yet.

Mate been a year or so since I fished it, Got a area for the ski lice to launch from from memory, so at least you dont share the ramp with them (or the dirt bank as it probably still is!)

Big open basin, depending on water level might have some big boulders in the water, very pretty up around the wall with the house sized granite boulders!

From memory camping ground on south west corner of dam, ramp there as well. I caught a couple of yella's from the bank, have not had a boat on it.

I went there ages ago and we didn't catch anything until we got a tip off from a fellow camper, and he put us onto some Yellowbelly. Although we only caught three fish on Yabbies, the people who told us where to go were right next to us and they were using shrimp and they caught over 40 easily.

I dunno how it'd go with lures though.

I have fished it about 5 times trolling lures back about 5-6 yrs ago caught plenty yellas trolling the rocky bottom patches and dropoffs also got plenty of them trolling shallow divers over weedbeds but thats if it has some anymore we aslo got one cod trolling a deeper drop off with few rocks on the bottom it was about 45cm it was pretty low last time I was there and you could see breeding drums they had spread around the dam that were exsposed then,got bogged last time there too launching at the dirt that looked hard?

Surface is a hard loam, but the country is box country, which means a crust of loam(2 to 3 foot thick) over heavy clay, after rain the water sites on top of the clay, making the bottom of the loam like porridge - meaning if you (or more likely some boofhead with a honking huge boat) breaks that crust, it turns to slop! It would only be a problem for you if previous traffic has chewed it up. Dont forget you can usually launch and retrieve a small tinny with the trailer wheels at the water edge! Just needs care and a lot of winching!

Archived