Somerset Camping

Bommie

Went Camping at somerset dam last Thursday to Tuesday with my son, the plan was to do some fishing from the kayak and canoe, but the weather for the first three days was a constant 25-30 knot wind which stopped us from paddling to any fishing spots. So my son rode the waves in his kayak.

We set the traps at night and got heaps of shrimp and redclaw (thanks to Paul for the crayfish pellets) and a massive tandanus (ha). Saturday around midday I went up to the tent for a drink and when I walked past the front of the tarp out of the corner of my eye I see this snake under a net lunge at my legs, a quick jump in the air and I was grabbing a paddle that was laying on the ground and managed to keep its head down while I picked up the net, it started rolling and getting tangled so that was the end of him, no way he was getting out of the mess.

Woke up Sunday to no wind, so a quick brekky and off to the trees and ledges for a fish finally, but unfortunately nothing of any size, so back to camp for lunch. That afternoon decided to try for a cod so took some redclaws and some sp shrimp and minnows, only one hookup and bust off using the redclaw, back to camp for the night depressed.

Monday morning my son was trolling little spinners in his kayak out the front of the campsite and picked up some banded grunter and a small tilapia. My nephew came out for the last night and day and got stuck into the kayak for the first time and loved it so he will be getting one now.

Brought some redclaw home for the pond, one manage to get out only to be mauled by a blue tongue that was waiting for him.

Here are a few photos, most I had on another card that I can’t find. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2401_AFO.jpg

our wind bunker

post-2146-144598441335_thumb.jpg

No one died and you've got some good stories for years to come. What more could you ask for ?:P (Don't answer that - I've answered it myself many times LOL)

Ripper tandanus, lucky you got him in the net - no way your drag would have stopped him. lmao

Blue tongue eating a cray - great shot:woohoo:

Don't you just hate snakes. Black or brown ? Good to see he responded well to a paddling :laugh:

Pale Headed Snake?

Length:

to 0.75m

Identification:

head distinctly marked with black blotches and a prominent pale grey band on nape, followed by black neck band; lips strongly barred; back and belly grey.

Scale Counts:

midbody scale rows 21; ventrals 190-225, anal single; subcaudals single 40-65.

Habitat:

wet and dry eucalypt forests, woodlands.

Distribution:

central eastern Australia, from Mareeba (north eastern Qld) to mid-eastern NSW; common on Darling Downs and near Brisbane (Beaudesert, Brisbane Valley, Caboolture).

common

Habits:

active at night; a climber

Breeding:

live bearer (5-10 young).

Main Prey:

frogs, reptiles and mammals.

Venom:

poorly-known; haemotoxic.

Notes:

potentially dangerous; one serious case of envenomation by a large specimen reported; apply first aid and seek urgent medical attention for all suspected bites.

Similar Species:

none. [img size=250]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-4754b87b9cba2391bb88842cef437b90.jpg

post-63-144598441355_thumb.jpg

CrayfishMates wrote:

Good show mate. Glad the pellets worked out for you.

BTW if anyone catches more crayfish than they need I am more than happy to take them off your hands for my tanks... Have to stock them up for winter.

Wait till 2 months after the NPD fills the population will explode last big inflow we were getting around 60 large redclaw in each pot the pots were that full they couldnt get in and there would be around 6 or seven sitting on top when we pilled the pots.

Cheers

Ray

Archived