Setting Your Drag

Decky

I thort i mite give a little tip for the new or not so experienced angler on setting your drag.

Grab a scale hook you line to it strike it as you would strike a fish and adjust it till u get 1/3 of the weight of your line. ie: 15kg = 5 kg of drag

You cant go wrong with that equation.

For the more experienced angler out ther yes i know that this is a strike equation and you can tweak it up a little after the strike and initiall full speed run but as i say its more a refrence for the inexperienced.

Yes it is a setting i use for for Trolling and as i say its a guide for the inexperienced on drag settings.

It can be a complex set of equations ie; fish weight,fish strength. etc etc but at the end of the day line will break iff you get it wrong.So yes i agree iff youve got a Jack heading for the structure you have to stop it.And as your experience develops you get a feel for what you can and cant do but i was targeting the audience who wants an idea on a good place to start with there drag setting.

that's a gr8 suggestion to beginners decky!

dan, actually most of the low profile reels only have 5-8lb of drag and some latest shimanos have just over 10lb of drag, so no matter how to set them, the maxi u can get is around 7-9lb of drag. since not many fish r big enough to pull 7-9lb consistantly, 7-9lb of drag is quite enough to stop most, and that's the drag we usually have when we talk about "lock up". i think usually when lure fishing in the estuary, 3-4lb of drag is quite a lot and 2lb is what most ppl use when breaming on lures.

it's another story when off shore fishing where reels with 30kg of drag is commonly used

Archived