Offshore Yaking

Confused

Hey guys well i thought id just address a few concerns i have about yaking offshore, A few ppl on this site Myself included mention alot and try to go offshore as much as possible, Whenever possible. However much like a show on foxtel called jackass these posts should come with WARNINGS, I mean make no mistake about it going offshore is extremely dangerous.

While i'm one to pretty much allways throw caution to the wind, As i found out last saturday it can get real bad real fast. As most offshore fisherman are aware, Early morning = Calm conditions. And when the wind gets up and the seas increase you crawl home carefully, This is ok for a boat however if you were 2k off in a yak and the wind gets up close to 30 knts unexpected,

I would suggest you arent comming home at all.

Add to this wind forecasts/predictions are allways give from landbased locations and bouys close to headlands these can be far diffrent from whats really happening on the water. Anyway I thought id just mention this as to make some first timers aware that even know a licence is not needed for a kayak and given the opportunity you can pretty much do anything in it(Like paddle to NZ). I think a couple of simple safety items should be required before even attempting going offshore. Lifejacket, Handheld VHF radio, Bungee strap to your paddle, at least 2L of water, some basic food, Mobile phone.

Please guys take care out there don't go alone even if its a practice surf launch to get past the breakers, and allways tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. :)

Archived