Yak Fitout question?

fishyman

Hiya Guys!

as some of you may know i am getting ahold of a profish very soon (hopefully :woohoo:) and i have started to think if how i am gonna 'pimp' it.

i would like to mount a scotty triple mount for two rod holders and possibly a GPS in the future, But i have been thinking where can i mount it and i had an idea :ohmy:

Topandsideview.jpg

pretty much i had the idea to mount it on teh back wall of the centre well but i thought for transport it will need to be removable which got me thinking how will i achieve this.

piece.jpg

and thats my idea, using something like that that i attach PIECE 1 permanently to the centre well then have something similiar to PIECE 2 that can slot into anf clip into place, then ill make an extension to attach to PIECE 2 and the triple mount itself seen in pic 1.

so my question is do any of you know if something along those lines is available.

That is a good strong join that sort of dove tail setup. but I would be careful about using it on a yak, they are such a tight fit I'd be worried that any sort of corrosion, swelling or damage (a nicked edge) or mud/sand might cause it to jam tight.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/

Have a look around this website. Might be something on there that could work for you. Yes it is an American site but if buy Scotty stuff it is still way cheaper to frieght it over than buy it locally. eg. 2 scotty rod holders with 6" extensions and flush mount bases delivered to Brisbane for $120AUS. You'd pay that alone for just the rod holders at your local.

Lots of guys on AKFF use it and swear by it.

Hi Fishyman, mate if you are like most yakkers the first thing you will want to do when you get it home is drill holes, cut shapes, glue bits and hope the stuff ups don't leak, and if it does just pour in more sikaflex.

My advice on pimpin your ride is, don't drill a single hole or modify it in any way until you have at lease paddled it 3 or 4 times, take your time and don't rush it, this is a valuable investment and you can be justified in your selection, the Profish is a sexy looking yak that is receiving excellent reviews.

I will not modify my new Prowler Elite until I have done this, I only wish I had listened to my own advice on my first yak. Trust me when I say you will enjoy your yak much much more if you get it right first time around. As I say, it's a valuable investment so be careful. OK, off me soap box now, have fun.

Warmest Regards

Al

Biggles wrote:

Hi Fishyman, mate if you are like most yakkers the first thing you will want to do when you get it home is drill holes, cut shapes, glue bits and hope the stuff ups don't leak, and if it does just pour in more sikaflex.

My advice on pimpin your ride is, don't drill a single hole or modify it in any way until you have at lease paddled it 3 or 4 times, take your time and don't rush it, this is a valuable investment and you can be justified in your selection, the Profish is a sexy looking yak that is receiving excellent reviews.

I will not modify my new Prowler Elite until I have done this, I only wish I had listened to my own advice on my first yak. Trust me when I say you will enjoy your yak much much more if you get it right first time around. As I say, it's a valuable investment so be careful. OK, off me soap box now, have fun.

I agree. Why not just sickaflez it onto your yak without drilling any holes.

Warmest Regards

Al

Good point Biggles, besides the profish doesn't need much pimping. There is a spot moulded in for the sounder and there's 4 recessed rod holders. I have added another trolling holder just to keep the lures lower in the water, but whatever you do test it out a few times first.

yeah i plan to tak it out multiple times before i start the mods. i have already paddled one twice on different AFO trips.

the main reason for wanting add the triple mount and rod holders where i want is to help keep reels further away from the water.

thanks for the replies

Tom

Biggles wrote:

Warmest Regards

Al

i couldnt agree more my old tinny has more rivets filling holes than screws in use it sucks to come up with some brain wave at home to find it doesnt work on the water

Cheap option is to cut a 2ft length of 40mm pvc and that fits snugly into the rodholders on my espri. Keeps the reels further off the water by extending the rod holders.

Obviously doesn't look anywhere near as good but is 50 times cheaper and just as effective, unless you want to run the rod tips parralel to the water then it is no good.

Archived