Newie Park once more...

nigehey

OK, although the fish are getting sick of me down there now, I went back down for a quick couple of hours on the falling tide (just after 10.30 or so) on advice of those in the know...Not a bad session 6 fish in 2.5 hours all on the same pattern sx40 with one 8lb leader change in the middle when it became frayed on the rocks.

The wind was a pain, and there was a ton of rubbish floating about just next to the rockwalls which made slow rolling back parralel to the wall pretty frustrating, but I hooked up so many times it wasn't that big a drama. A lot of ppl fishing down there too - one guys with 4 rods (which I reckon is a bit rough as there's not that much room in some spots).

My tally was 2 bream (FINALLY!!!) 2 cod and 2 chopper tailor(!) - the tailor were great fun on light tackle and my first of the species on hbs. All fish released unharmed to fight again another day. Thanks again for all the advice and tips everyone - I'm officially a hb convert, I couldn't be bothered with the smell of gulps for these quick sessions in the river. :P [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/untitled1.jpg

post-2098-144598446502_thumb.jpg

pinkey wrote:

Good work champ. What fish faught the best?

Thanks pinkey - I caught the larger bream (only 9 and a bit inches (I had the tape measure on the wrong side :blink: )) about 1 meter away from my feet in amongst some rocks in about 30cm of water - it took off like a rocket and I had given up on the cast so wasn't concentrating on the retrieve :unsure: I also had almost no drag on after loostening it to undo a braid wind knot :angry: so it was easily the most fun! :laugh:

fishyman wrote:

awesome well done mate!

you are sure getting the nack of it now :D

you got your bream :woohoo:

good on ya

edit: were the cod bigger than 29cm??

if so enter them in FOTM

Nah spot on 29cm. I caught a 45+ one in the same spot in the last week of feb :( so I'll keep trying. There are some great cod down there.

pinkey wrote:

sounds like good fun. Got any pics of the taylor? how big were they. Ive seen a couple caught around there but only 10 - 25cm ish :P.

Nah, I didn't get pics of the other fish. I finally took the camera out of the backpack at #4. They weren't big though - one would have been about 18cm the other maybe getting toward 25cm. I didn't expect to get them in that part of the river - although there was a tonne of bait around...

Those are nice fish... I've never caught a fish on a lure but I sure would like to try, which part of the park is this at? is it near the bridge or is it on the other side? I might just give it a try one of these days seeing how well you are doing. I totally suck at lures though....

I say this so often I should I should it in a word doco so I can cut and paste hahaha.

But...

"Man i reckon Estuary cod are a cool looking fish"!!

Seriously the variety of patterns, the tenacious fighting ability, its all good.

Well done mate thanks for the report.

Angus

People actually do ok in the Brisbane river?

How come Newie Park is so popular?

If you can catch those fish at Newie Park surley there is a tonne of fishing spots all the way through the river?

Don't mid me Im not used to Brisbane but I work near Indooroopilly and the river along the back of my work somtimes looks very hospitable to the odd fish that hangs around snags.

cheers

flatty_catcher wrote:

People actually do ok in the Brisbane river?

You've got a lot to learn about the Brisbane River:cheer::silly:

People on AFO regurally catch Threadfin Salmon, Snapper, Grunter Bream & Cod. As well as tonnes of Sharks, Bream & Flathead

There are quite a few good spots to catch good fish in the RiverB)

adri4n wrote:

Those are nice fish... I've never caught a fish on a lure but I sure would like to try, which part of the park is this at? is it near the bridge or is it on the other side? I might just give it a try one of these days seeing how well you are doing. I totally suck at lures though....

Hi Adri4n, its on the other (windward :) ) side of the park. I strongly recommend the hb action - there are so many tips on this site if you search the archives, from guys like kevinchen and plenty of others. Be warned luring is addictive!

username_taken wrote:

hey mate, wanna hit it up one lunch time this week? I'm bummed I didn't get to fish this weekend, so a lunchtime distraction from work would be welcome.

I could be in that! I'm back at work after being on leave for a week, any particular day?

flatty_catcher wrote:

wonder what they come for now.?

cheers

Well, my little boy does pretty well berleying the entire area with milk arrowroots and water crackers. I lost so many gulps there that it must have some ongoing effect, and I see the workers up at the newstead/teneriffe boundary (at the end of the boardwalk near the development) throwing plenty of sangers in the water at lunch time. I'd be there as a fish. But I'd have a picture of an sx40/8 stuck on the fridge at home to remind me of what NOT to eat...:laugh:

Archived