Game fishing Gladstone

Oceandonkey

So im sitting at home last night just watching TV and the mobi rings. Hang up 1 minute later and im going fishing in gladstone for 6 days over the Easter break.

What can we expect up there. We have all different rods for different cicumstances. the 3 of us have the plastic rods and reels. weve all got the mid range overhead reels and we all have wtf reels.

The boat is a 6.9 seastorm plate aluminium packing 250 ponies of suzuki grunt. the fuel is paid by the company so thats not a worry and accomodation is taken care of.

all we need to do now is work out where were going to troll and bottom bounce.

if worst comes to worst well drop a line in anywhere but does anyone have some nice spots they have ever fished before?

Kinda off topic ATM but on the news in NZ last night was a world record "Striped Marlin" caught on 1kg line the fish weighted 104.90 kg 100-1 class.

Now fishing off Gladstone is pretty good any of the reefs produces good coral trout & cod. Plus the usual reefies. Fish 8-10 kg if thats not enough then go 15kg up should be plenty of big macks arround aswell.

If you want some GPS marks let me know and I'll E-Mail them to you. Most should be out of the Green Zones I think.

Laurie

Would always be worth a troll out on the shelf east of the Capricorn Bunker group. It is going to be a great time of year to fish places like Stuart Shoal for Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna and Spanish Macks.

If the company is paying for fuel I would be personally able to help out with regards fishing tackle, GPS marks and general expertise if it was no cost to me. Check out my website.

www.sqcs.com.au 0407 574 868.

thanks smithy the offer is greatly appreciated. were always one's for teaching ourselves (with alot of help from AFO as we go) im going to regret it when were out there not catching any fish cursing that we had to decline smithy :(

learning the hard way seems silly but i feel it offers the greatest reward. nothing better than jagging a big moster when you dont know wtf to do. we did it of the southpassage bar so hopefully we can do it up further north.

just had a look at the weather and it doesnt look promising. showers we can handle, the 25-30 knots on friday, saturday and sunday forcasted is gonna be epic.

try the gladstone harbour u get a mixed bag in there,u can troll for mackeral,tuna,bonito ect and you can bottom bash for reefys..rat island betwwen curtis and facing isnt bad fishing u can get trout and some good sized blue bonr there..if all else fails and the weather gets rough head up to the narrows and fish for thumper grunter and jacks,barra,and big salmon..hope this helps and have a good one

if it is a howling SE blowing, there is some reasonable fishing on the sheltered side of facing island for general reefy stuff. i lived in gladstone for 10 years earlier in my life (before green zones were invented so definately check up on that). depending how keen you are, there are some great reefs and drop offs around the south-south east tip of curtis island - obviously going to be a bit exposed but here's a cup of harden the hell up for ya!! :laugh: i have great memories of jigging for trout and sweetlip, spinning poppers for GT's, macks, tuna and alike from around this region. definately take a heavier rig for some jigging or poppers, there are some big things that don't like to come out of their hidey holes!

and as for the capricorn bunker group - been there once and i will say it blew my mind. the size and quantity of fish caught was mind boggling. that was about 12 years ago though so things may have changed since.

Archived