ultralight baitfishing, what a mistake!

kevinchen19870316

went down to newstead this arvo for a quick bait session. when leaving the door, i was quite hesitating if i should bring the 10-17lb loomis+calais100a+23lb braid set up or the new 3-11lb megabass+caldia kix2000+6lb mono set up. after all, i chose the second set up and that's a big big mistake of the day!

flicked lures when the tide's still up high and got 2 bream, 1 tiny tiny tiny cod and 4 tailor.:laugh:

after having fun with the smallish fish, it's time to do some serious fishing with ultralight gear.:P 1st drop of the bait i got a massive run and dropped the fish.:ohmy: a few more bait later i filled my bag with 5 30cm bream. mission completed:laugh:

then the fun/pain started as the tide's running fast, i got bricked over 10 times on the light gear and i could feel the fish making their way in the nasty snags and there's nothing i could do:blink: . then over 5 bust offs with drag screaming like crazy:blush: then 5 missed hook ups due to undersized rig:dry: . then......

i couldn't manage any good fish on the set up so i finally gave up on bait fishing and had a few casts with HB. probably only 5 casts into the border of current i got a massive hit and the worst thing happened. the fish made some good runs in between all the rocks and wore through the 6lb mono!:angry: my live-x smolt!:angry:

will be back with heavy gear tomorrow for a revenge!

haha thanks for the comments guys. i didn't know the fish that bust me off on bait will be interested in my lures as well. ha ha

it's gr8 fun fighting 30cm bream on light gear, they can sometimes keep my drag screaming for 2-3 seconds non stop, lol

hey shortie just a note that i got bust offs there even when i used 20lb leader or thick wire!

catfish aka cod :P. If you just want bream, just float bread around the rocks unweighted, but dont keep to many :P there to fun to catch, Callum and I picked up 50 or so most legal, in the brissie river using bread once. All on 4lb and our bream sticks, good little session that was.

you dont try and put your hook through the bread, like if you were baiting up a prawn ect, you just squash the bread around your hook ;), has to be fresh or it will come off easy. Some mammoth threadys have been caught at newstead. Im sure the odd jewy has also been taken there in the past, and plenty of huge sharks..

Bit of an ironic thread from the bloke who said this....

back in china where i fish for carp over 5kg, i usually use 4.5m rod, a line around 6lb test the same length as the rod, a leader 2-4lb and no reel! u will learn a good lesson on how to play a fish when u can catch them consistantly on that combo.

and this...

pm, when u get a 5kg carp on 1lb line without a reel, u;ll see what i mean

yeah I forgot about the threaddies, I have seen a few caught in newstead, just the other day i definitely had a threaddie run, but it spat the hook and bait.... I'll definitely try the bread again one of these days... i've always wanted to catch a shark but i've probably missed the window this year...

bigtez wrote:

Bit of an ironic thread from the bloke who said this....

back in china where i fish for carp over 5kg, i usually use 4.5m rod, a line around 6lb test the same length as the rod, a leader 2-4lb and no reel! u will learn a good lesson on how to play a fish when u can catch them consistantly on that combo.

and this...

pm, when u get a 5kg carp on 1lb line without a reel, u;ll see what i mean

i truly understand why u feel this way cuz u know 0 about that sort of fishing. just let u know u can land 10kg ray on UL gear but u don't have a chance with smallish jack in nasty snags on 10lb gear. mind u, i said carp r stupid in that thread as well

What type of fishing is it that I know zero about?

No offence was intended Kev and I apologise if you were offended. I just found it amusing that we can boast about our skills one day and on another when we struggle it is a different story. Thats just human nature though, we all do it.

I think people don't really care if you fish off it as long as you don't make a mess and pull your lines up if a boat comes. I've heard a story about someone getting fined but I reckon it was BS.

It's a good place to catch big catties if you just want to feel some weight on your line. There's also the slight chance of a thready, cod or big Flattie. Plus I caught a car bonnet of a stingray off that pontoon in the classic last year.

In theory you're not supposed to fish off the pontoon since theres a sign, but everyone does it. A friend of mine was fishing off it one day and some fishery people came up on a boat and he thought for sure he was going to get fined, but all they wanted was to make sure his fish were all legal... But if you do it on weekends be prepared to be disrupted by all the boats coming in and I've seen some deckies get a little short with you....

Archived