Advice on Surf/Rockwall Spinning Gear

Dan23

So I've decided I'm getting a bit tired of only doing basic estuary fishing. Still love it to death but I'm craving some massive sportfish action. I figure as I don't really have the means to go offshore regularly I should look at surf/rockwall fishing. basically I want to maximise my big fish potential;)

Just looking for any advice from people that have used any medium range rods like the Saltiga Surf series or reels like the Shimano Stradic 5000. Something with a decent retrieve rate.:)

I'll be after something that is really versatile that'll throw a whole pillie and big strip baits on large lead rigs from the sand. But I also want to be able to work big poppers, slugs and plastics around off the rockwalls.

I'll be targeting anything big from Taylor up to Tuna and GTs.

I'm thinking around 10-11Ft should do the job.

Anyway, any feedback on this type of gear from people who own and have used it would be great as it is hard to get reliable reviews on this sort of thing off the net.

Some exaples of what I'm looking at.

/>http://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-Saltiga-Surf-Fishing-Rod-11-SA-S-1102MHFS-New_W0QQitemZ290222558302QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36168QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

/>http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-STRADIC-5000-FI-BRAND-NEW-2008_W0QQitemZ310040763702QQihZ021QQcategoryZ36164QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mate i have two rods i always take when rock fishing, and a third for beach fishing.

the first is an 8ft medium action with a 6000 (big) spinning reel loaded with 8lb fireline or 20 lb or 30lb - i always carry a couple of spare spools. i use this for spinning/poppers and for pillies and occasionally live bait. you don't need a hugely fast retrieve for tailor which is what you'll find most of anyway. i carry a spare spool so if i come across a school of dart i can have fun on light line, also good for a bit of extra casting distance if the tailor are out a bit, or if the big boys come out to play. i find the retrieve is good enough for mackeral so it can't be too bad.

second and most fun of all is a 6'6" spinning rod with a small reel and 10lb fireline. i have caught more tailor on this rod than any other as it can flick a 20g slug outa sight. the retrieve is more than fast enough for tailor and have caught a couple of mackeral on it as well. also used for the occasional plastic and floating a pillie around the rocks in close. have been busted up a few times!

third is a 10'6" medium action surf rod with a large spinning reel and 15lb braid. i use this off the sand when you need a bit more distance than the 8ft can provide. it is a bit soft for use off the rocks when most of the big fish are at your feet.

hope this is of some help to you. good to see another rock rat joining the ranks!

benno <'><

Thanks for the advice Benno. I have a 7' 10-17lb rod with a 3000 size reel I've been using for casting slugs and poppers so I can probably keep using it for that purpose. I've also been fishing with my bream outfit off the rockwall and getting some decent fish but getting destroyed more often then not lol.

Sounds like if I get a 10-11 foot rod and 5000 sized reel I should be sweet?

Dan23: Id seriously consider getting a relatively cheap combo and seeing how it feels. I had like a Jarvis walker spin reel and 10 foot rod combo that last me for year at straddy. Caught some good fish on it as well using pillies for tailor. Would work easily as well with slugs.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Dan23: Id seriously consider getting a relatively cheap combo and seeing how it feels. I had like a Jarvis walker spin reel and 10 foot rod combo that last me for year at straddy. Caught some good fish on it as well using pillies for tailor. Would work easily as well with slugs.

Angus

Ha ha thanks mate I already did that. I have probably the same jarvis walker combo. It has done alright but I'm getting accustomed to using higher quality gear so when I go back to cheapo stuff you really notice it. We have tons of old school surf gear like massive glass rods and Alveys too.

basically I really just want to fish with confidence that if I hook a fish of a lifetime then my gear won't let me down.:)

Well in that case, since I got addicted to fishing plastics in the surf I have been using my Freams Kix 4000 on an 8-10kg rod.

It is not great at casting plastics but when I put a slug on it went for ages. Freams Kix allows for a very decent retrieve as well.

I have it maybe overloaded with 20lb braid. But I only use it when Im aiming big :)

Angus

the braid vs mono question is a tough one I guess, everyone has their own opinions, personally I prefer mono when I'm bait fishing, or if I'm not holding the rod, the stretch in the mono seems to help me hook the fish on their own though occasionally you'll gut-hook the fish. I think mono wins based on the price, and the abrasion resistance. its all personal preference though, though maybe you should give the mono a go and see first since its much cheaper, if you can't stand the stretchiness then you could switch to braid with a long leader.

braid v mono - holden v ford - qld v nsw... all great battles.

i fish braid off the rocks when spinning owing to low stretch and small diameter. when spinning braid is awesome due to low air resistance when casting and little stretch so the hooks set straight away. make sure you use a swivel of some sort though, can get twisted quite easily.

i still fish braid when baiting, i have not had too many problems with being rubbed off, other than by rat kingies. i find that anything that runs you off on braid will most likely on mono anyway. if you are chasing pelagics, they run from the rocks so abrasion doesn't really occur. i suppose that is why i fish slightly heavier than usual line as well. i'm sure 15-20lb mono would work fine, but i prefer braid. up to you mate, it's your wallet! :P

Quote:

Sounds like if I get a 10-11 foot rod and 5000 sized reel I should be sweet?

mate, that would be sweet as. don't get a really soft rod and you may want to go to the 6000 size depending on balance. they are often easier to cast a long way too. rock fishing gear cops a pretty serious hiding so maybe go with whatever is ok but not over the top price wise as they get splashed, dropped, bumped etc quite inadvertently through the process.

you up for a trip to fingal or noosa one day, or the breakwall at the mouth of the bruns?

benno <'><

it varies so much kev.

sometimes youd have to hurl a slug or pillie out pretty far which is when a longer rod comes in handy. but sometimes its not far at all.

For example, at sandon we needed to cast about 150m to get to the Tuna schools but the furthest i could cast with my 7 foot placcy rod was about 120m

note: that is with a howling gale :P

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

what distance's expected when casting bait like whole pilly? i will use my baitcaster to give it a go if i love it, i'll get a surf combo as well

What fishyman said, and also sometimes, the gutter may only be 10-20m out so that's all you'll need to cast. Other times, they'll be out of reach no matter what you use

Dan, IMO that 5000 Stradic will be perfect. I probably wouldnt go to the 6000 becasue of the weight of it. That rod would be pretty much perfect.

One thing you might want to do is, buy the rod. then take it to a tackle store and try it with both a 5000 and 6000 to test balance. because if it balances well with the 6000 than youll achieve the feeling of lightness in your combo. which would then mean the extra weight of the 6000 wouldnt be a problem.

That combo would be a great half ground for surf and rock fishing. only thing id be afraid of is the reel getting splashed and dropped etc etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll have to go have a play with some gear to see how it feels. I would just get an Alvey for surf casting but I always get the line tangled around the handle so they annoy me too much.

I'm not too worried about dropping the gear etc, i figure decent gear is less likely to break and I'll just get it serviced every 3 months to keep it in good nick.

Shrimpo wrote:

yeh thats true hey jeff but for spinning for tuna etc u want to cast a long way BUT you probably want a spinning reel over an alvey for spinning

if you can throw an unweighted pilly 30m

how far could you send a40-80g raider on the same gear:huh:

Archived