First post, Pinkenba fires!

jim_bream

Howdy all,

first post, so be gentle.

Not having a functioning boat ('project' on blocks in back yard) I thought I'd sart at the Pinkenba boat ramp and walk my way up to the sunken wall.

Rigged up with a Mojiko Plastix 7'0" rod, Finnor Gold reel loaded with 4lb fireline & 10lb Siglon Sunline leader (Line, leader & SP's purchased from the very knowledgeable & helpful crew at JONES TACKLE in Lutwyche *pop in for a look if nothing else, great range of gear and keen for a chat*) started the day with a 4" Berlkey Gulp Minnow in Pumpkinseed and a few small bream from the pylons of the cement plant. Nothing even worth getting the camera out for- 20-25cm tops, 1 keeper at 30cm.

Made my way down towards the sunken wall as the tide was bottoming out and the bites were slowing down, not good. Then about 1/2 hour after the low tide an empty ship cruises in and berths at the cement plant. As it's positioning itself (with the help of a pair of tugs) I can see the prop's of the 3 ships are really stirring up the bottom of the river.... my little eyes lit up and I scurried back towards the cement plant. Drawing just level with the bow of the ship (Maritime Law prohibits you from being between a ship and the shore, without MSIC *security* clearance) I tied on an Atomic 5" curlytail grub in a clear-greeny-glitter colour.

I kid you not, first cast- BANNGGGGGG!! Something nails the bejeezus outta my SP and makes a beelin for the moored ship and pylons... Sidesticking and feathering the drag on my cheapie reel makes the torpedo on the end of my line think again and manage to wind in some line. Each time he makes a break for it, the runs get shorter and the intensity lessens. The we get some colour, you beauty!! Nice flattie! Call it for 60cm- measured to 63cm, quick piccie and he/she's back to terrorise us again.

Trying a change of tactic and SP I rigged up a Tru-turn hook (for weedless texas-rigging) with a 6" Old Bayside flickbait in sardine (hard to get here in Oz) and start casting parallel to the bank, a few flicks later and I see a flash as my SP cops a hiding not 6' from my rod tip. This feels a bit better! And more chunky! Call it for a Cod and sure enough after a bit of dirty tactics and general misbehaviour a TINY Cod makes it's way up the bank for a quickpic and he's off.

Maybe 20 minutes later just as the confidence is starting to wane again KA-POWWWW (like in the old batman TV series!) Now we're onto something halfway serious.... nice little fight and a few shaky runs and a house-brick of a Cod is gently netted and made to look pretty before a pic and back she goes. Another little flattie comes in, nothing much more than 35-40 cm. back she goes (see the common thread here...?)

THEN, just as I'm about to pack up, the old 'one-more-cast' bug hits and I figure 'What the hell, it's Sunday and this could be the biggie." Bang on cue I get abso-f***n-lutely bricked! Had it on the line for maybe 4-5 seconds and then 'pingk' my new fireline goes slack and I can't feel jack anymore. Looking at the line, seems like something has sharp stanley-knife-teeth and decided to cut the line. It honestly looked like it was cut with braid scissors. 10lb Sunline cut ike it was smoke..

Picked up all my gear, loose bits of line, some rubbish and called it a day. 9 fish in an hour and a half bankside, not a bed arvo sesh.

Cheers for reading.

jimbo

Archived