Boat Maintanence.

shortie

I decided today was the day to treat the old girl with some maintanence.

Was wondering why the switch wasnt working for the live well.

I pulled off the cover, touched the switch box and 2 switches fell apart in my hands.

These are waterproof marine switches in the dash of the boat about 3 foot higher than the floor.

Only 3 years old. Shows how harsh the salt environment can be.

replaced the switchbox. Ive now got lights that tell me witch switch is turned on.

I greased the nipples to the steering cables, it now moves a lot freer. Not as free as its going to be after the hydaualic steering go on.

A bottle of inox pray later and im happy that the trailer, break cables and winch are still servicable.

And as per another thread will be doing the wheel bearings soon. Not going to take the boat off the trailer to do so as i have a trolly jack and axle stands.

Ongoing maintance on boats can be time consuming and expensive. Howevr spending a few $$ on routine maintanence is the best advice i can give. It may just save you lottsa $$ in repair bill later.

Or better still may save you from the fishing trip from hell. This icludes, break downs and saving your life.

Richard.

Yeh i agree, When we get our motor serviced each year, we try and pull apart as much as we can and clean it all up, Change the Bearings and Oil the rollers on the trailer, And anything else that needs doing.

PS. Car Lovers is awesome for cleaning ure boat, The high pressure gets the shit out of just about every little groove and gap.

Well done Rich, a bit of preventative maintenance will always pay off in the long run.

Always wondered is it just me, or does everyone else loosen off the winch and rear tie down straps once parked up, leave bungs out to aid ventilation, screw up the breathers on the tanks, isolate or disconnect the battery.

Anyone else have little things they do after each trip out to ensure a easy start on the next trip?

Stupid as it sounds..with my next boat...me thinks I'm going to have a laminated checklist of what must be on the boat before heading off, through peak traffic in the city and bumper to bumper traffic to go to Noosa. Using Noosa as an example, coz last trip I forgot the lifejackets..had everything else, just no life jackets. With friends also coming up, it wasnt just a case of buying one or two...I had to buy a set of five.

So must haves before any trip with the boat.....CHECKLIST.

goldnugget wrote:

Stupid as it sounds..with my next boat...me thinks I'm going to have a laminated checklist of what must be on the boat before heading off, through peak traffic in the city and bumper to bumper traffic to go to Noosa. Using Noosa as an example, coz last trip I forgot the lifejackets..had everything else, just no life jackets. With friends also coming up, it wasnt just a case of buying one or two...I had to buy a set of five.

So must haves before any trip with the boat.....CHECKLIST.

Or just keep them in the boat at all times? All our safety gear, LifeJackets, Flares, First Aid Kit, Tool Kit, V Sheet, Torch, Spare Bung, Compass etc etc. is kept in the boat at all times and is only removed when we do a full clean out once a year.

yep good stuff shortie... cant beat some maintenance for good value boating..... hahahahaha may even save the tow truck scenario........ hahahahaaaaaa...

yeah booty i always have a quick trip around the boat with a can of lanox in my hand... if it moves spray it, if it doesnt move spray it..hahahah

maxi

AZZA wrote:

Once boat goes back into the shed bung goes back in and its checked again when boat is hooked to car , also store boat with engine cover up, as any moisture in bilge will condinsate on motor and cause rust.

Now there is someone who backs themselves to not forget things.....LOL

Thought I forgot the bungs once at deepwater bend , going up the pine thought the stern felt a bit heavy and could not remember putting the bungs in so Iám keeping the boat up on on plane looking for a bit of beach. Finnaly spot a bit and run the boat up on to it and dive out the back only to find the bungs in place, so i looked around to make sure no one was watching and got going

Well done shortie, thanks for the reminder. I service my motor and trailer every October before summer, I also do a mid year self service whcih is due, although I did the rollers last month.

But here is a tip for the Gelcoat. If you have a off cut piece of marine carpet use that when rubbing the squid and pilly juice off the hull. It does a great job on blood and gutts too with no harsh scratches or effort.

bootyinblue wrote:

Well done Rich, a bit of preventative maintenance will always pay off in the long run.

Always wondered is it just me, or does everyone else loosen off the winch and rear tie down straps once parked up, leave bungs out to aid ventilation, screw up the breathers on the tanks, isolate or disconnect the battery.

Anyone else have little things they do after each trip out to ensure a easy start on the next trip?

Yep bungs come out and into a tray on the dash of the boat beofre i leave the ramp.

Having the bungs out on the way home ensures any water gets draines on the drive home. I always leave the bungs out at home in case in Rains.

Straps and winch cable always stay done up. I would not like to forget them before i drive off next trip.

Battery always gets isolated as the 3 year old likes to press the tilt/trim buttons on the moter. I learnt this the hard way. got home 1 day to find gouge marks in the conctete under the motor.

Richard.

i get home park the boat and walk away i do how ever fix anything that has gone wrong when i get home or as soon as i can afford i dont wash the old bitch but i do vacuum it clean when it gets dirty id rather spend the time in the shower my self than wash a crap old boat i dont have a water tank yet when it rains i park her outside and scrub with a broom the only thing i must pull my finger out and fix is the wheel nuts excessive rust and check bearings

Archived