Inshore Plastics Combo

fishyman

hey guys,

well seeing as my current build is on hold due to havign to have the blank sent back i thought id start studying at my next project.

i will be building myself an Inshore Plastics Rod soon for chasing the likes of snapper,sweetlip, any reefies really and tuna,kingies,trevs out in the bay and at places like 9 mile for example.

at the moment im thinking something around 7'6'' 8-17lb line weight with a lure weight of 1/4-5/8 ounces.

i found this blank which i think could be perfect

P904-GL2 7'6 1 MEDIUM FAST 8-17lb 1/4-5/8oz

it will be matched to a shimano stradic 4000 FI and probably running around 15-20lb braided line.

what i want to ask is for your opinions, as i have never really done any offshore fishing whatsoever i am a real noob when it comes to what tackle. would 8-17lb (4-8.5kg) be enough or should i look at more?

should i look at a fast action for better SP action or a more parabolic curve to compensate for the no stretch factor in the braid?

any help and comments appreciated :)

now i just have to get dad of his bum and go boat shopping :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

i saw a 6000 TP at charltons the other week built tough thats for sure. the reason im leaning on a 4000 compared to 5000 is because ill be standing and casting for a long time and well im built like a twig fatigue comes into it after a while. although looking at the shimmy website just then the 5000 is only 70 more grams.

so 4000 or 5000 hmmm decisions decisions.

Dan23 wrote:

Shouldn't you be at School? Parobolic? WTF:S maybe you should just forget about the quadratics of fishing gear and do your english assignment :P

ive been vomiting for the last 2 days. thus no school for me

parabolic, as in a slower action, even curve. rather than a faster action that only bends in say the top third of the rod.

lol learn to big words dan

shouldnt you be working :P

fishyman wrote:

i saw a 6000 TP at charltons the other week built tough thats for sure. the reason im leaning on a 4000 compared to 5000 is because ill be standing and casting for a long time and well im built like a twig fatigue comes into it after a while. although looking at the shimmy website just then the 5000 is only 70 more grams.

What sort if fishing do you plan on doing with this by the way?

I have a Fream Kix 4000 and its not "that" big. But for inshore stuff its probably ideal (size wise).

Angus

Angus wrote:

fishyman wrote:

What sort if fishing do you plan on doing with this by the way?

I have a Fream Kix 4000 and its not "that" big. But for inshore stuff its probably ideal (size wise).

Angus

as i said in the first post, plastic work for reefies like snapper/sweetlip etc then like tuna kingies trevs.

Woops. Sorry man read through so fast missed it.

Snapper & Sweetlip no worries.

Some tuna and kingies... Sure. But i reckon you might loose a few as well on a 4000 size. 100 people will probably argue with now and say "you can get them on 2500 etc etc". But i think you would be safer a little bigger and still get a great fight out of them.

Angus

yeah well doing my research today seems the S10 is all the rage, so i guess i would like to emulate this rod to a certain extent.

im leaning towards a stradic A) because i have one and love it and B) the maintenance port allows me to lube up without disasembling it. then theres the fact that it pulls in more line.

I run 3 combo's for inshore and light off shore stuff. Like you I am limited to fishing the Tweed, The Cape and other grounds I can get to in my boat.

1. G Loomis BSR 852 GLX with a Sol 2500 15lbs Castaway

2. Egrell S4 Bear with a Daiwa Morethan Branzino 3000 30lbs Castaway

3. Egrell S10 with a Daiwa Certate 3500HD 50lbs Castaway

IMO most of my bases are covered from Bream to Tuna, Snapper to Kingies and AJ's

the S10 is rated 3-10kg isnt it?

do you think something along those lines matched to a 4000 would be a good half ground? i will have a light stick to throw plastics if the fish are small but if the XOS i would like to be able to land them haha.

fishyman wrote:

the S10 is rated 3-10kg isnt it?

do you think something along those lines matched to a 4000 would be a good half ground? i will have a light stick to throw plastics if the fish are small but if the XOS i would like to be able to land them haha.

4-10kg Although the Egrells fight well above there weight

Honestly my S10 comes out with me every trip in the Bay but I only ever use it on Tuna Schools and in water more than 20m deep, in the shallower water I have full confidence in landing most fish on the other 2 combos

If you have 2 spools then you can choose to suit, Cos you dont wanna go out targeting squire on 12-14lb and then have a school of metre tuna start busting up around you and be left with 14lb line do you.

But on the other hand theirs no excuse for not making 2 rods! So you could make a light rod and have a 3000 or 4000 size reel just for the plastics then make a bit heavier rod with a 4-5-6000 size reel for tuna, kingy's etc.

Shrimpo wrote:

But on the other hand theirs no excuse for not making 2 rods! So you could make a light rod and have a 3000 or 4000 size reel just for the plastics then make a bit heavier rod with a 4-5-6000 size reel for tuna, kingy's etc.

sorry missed this part

i would love to make 2 rods, but unfortunatly unless i get sponsored:huh: :blink::P thats not gonna happen to expensive for a 17 year old saving for concerts and schoolies and fishing trips aswell.

fishyman wrote:

so you reckon i could go lighter then?

im a big fan of redlining it but then again i dont wanna get smoked heaps.

6-12lbs Rod is a great all rounder. Light enough to cast light jigs or un weighted, enough balls to handle the bigger stuff with a sporting chance. Line capacity is your main concern. But honestly if you can fit about 200m of line on a reel, in side the Bay and close off shore, 200m is more than enough.

Thats the main reason I run Castaway on my 3500, I can get 200m with a few wraps of backing. 50lbs Castaway has the same PE diameter as 30lbs

fishyman wrote:

Shrimpo wrote:

sorry missed this part

i would love to make 2 rods, but unfortunatly unless i get sponsored:huh: :blink::P thats not gonna happen to expensive for a 17 year old saving for concerts and schoolies and fishing trips aswell.

Well in this case i'd be staying with the s10 and having a 4000 size reel with 2 spools as i said originally.

Captain Stabin wrote:

fishyman wrote:
so you reckon i could go lighter then?

im a big fan of redlining it but then again i dont wanna get smoked heaps.

6-12lbs Rod is a great all rounder. Light enough to cast light jigs or un weighted, enough balls to handle the bigger stuff with a sporting chance. Line capacity is your main concern. But honestly if you can fit about 200m of line on a reel, in side the Bay and close off shore, 200m is more than enough.

Thats the main reason I run Castaway on my 3500, I can get 200m with a few wraps of backing. 50lbs Castaway has the same PE diameter as 30lbs

Thanks for the Advice mate, ill have a think about it and see what comes up. i might go to something like 8-14lb as a half ground.

but ill certainly take that on board Thanks mate.

Shrimpo wrote:

Not really easily snap your line if you were using light line, Or knots.

not if you have a correctly set drag ;)

I had a 4000fe shimano spirex spooled with 12lb braid on a custom 6-10lb rod that caught a few decent black jew, longtails and mackerel no worries. It would be perfect for inshore work here but was stolen when I lived in Darwin. The rod was whippy as but had heaps of balls to it in the lower end. Was 7'1.

ok im doing a bit more research into this now.

done a bit of blank research and pretty much i think i have two options.

1) G loomis P902-GL3 which is 7'6'' and is 6-15lb with a lure weight rating of 1-4 to 1-2 ounce

2) GUSA B78M which is 7'8'' and is 8-17lb with a lure weight rating of 5/16 to 5/8 ounce

at the moment leaning towards the G Loomis because i think its more suited as 1/8 and 1/6 is a fairly good weight for the bay which is where most of my fishing will be. 1/8 or 1/6 plus a nice 5-7inch plastic equals pretty good lure weight for that G Loomis blank, i think the GUSA would struggle to throw the lighter jigheads but i think it would be more favourable for tuna spinning.

Guide Setup

so far im thinking along these lines. If my reel will have a spool diameter of around 50-55mm ill need say a size 30 stripper to be safe.

so using Fuji Sics

HVSG 30 (double foot), then YSG (single foot) 20,12/16, 10, then running LSG (Fly) 10's out to a size 12 tip.

all gunsmoke frames silicon carbide rings.

or there is the option to use AMTAK or Batson guides but still dont know at the moment, heading towards fugi because i know they will last.

so if anyone wants to put their opinion in on this feel welcome all comments welcomed and listend to. i want to get this right the first time, and yes i know 6-15lb isnt probably the best for tuna but as ill be using it for reefies for 95% of the time and ill be inside more than outside i think the lighter blank will provide more fun.

Thanks

Tom

Archived