Info on Kayaking

yeboants

Hi,

I'm new to brisbane and the forum and been pondering buying a fishing kayak.

first things first i need to do the needed research.

firstly.. i live close to brisbane cbd, are there good places to fish on a kayak within 2 hours drive from brisbane?

fresh and saltwater - latter preffered. trolling and softbaits mostly.

i'm 5'7" and weigh 70kgs, not the biggest bloke :-)

what type of kayak would I be looking for that would suit me?

i'm very much interested in fishing the open seas (backline waters) - but this will come with time once more experienced.

also.. more links to kayaks, kayak fishing and clubs would be grately appreciated..and anything i might have missed.

thanks in advance

anton

I'm only new to the sport, but it's awesome:cheer:

There are heaps of spots within 2hrs drive of the CBD. Nudgee Ck, Schultz Canal, Brisbane River, Bribie Passage, Bribie surfside, heaps of spots down around Jumpinpin. The list goes on:cheer:

Then for freshwater, there is Lake Wivenhoe, Somerset Dam, upper Stanly, Albert and Logan rivers.

Those are just ones off the top of my head, alot more around the place:)

I can't really help with the specific Kayak, but there are a few guys on here who will be able to. Alternatively, you could join Australian Kayakers Fishing Forum (AKFF.net).

Welcome to brisbane and the site, hope you enjoy it:cheer:

yeboants take a look at the hobie revolution. It's what I use, it's a great kayak. I'm 5'6" 68kg, I can stand up in the revo, so plenty of stability, and is pedal powered. only issue is cost - a bit under $2300 for stock model. Expensive, but well worth it. frees up your hands for casting, so good when in a current or wind. It's not a kayak if you're looking to get fit like some people, however by your size I'm doubting that's not really an issue. It's easy to go all day and travel long distnaces.

Within 2 hours of brisbane you have a phenominal amoutn of fishing available to you

offshore: reefs out off sunny and gc

moreton bay and islands

brisbane river

dams:

wivenhoe, somerset, ewen maddock dam, borumba, baroon, macdonald, north pine (WHEN YOU ARE ALLOWED ON! - so dont really include this),

upper bris river, upper stanley, mary river

there is seriously a ridiculously large variety of fishing on offer within 2 hours of brisbane. from anywhere between 1 lbs fishing to 100lbs.

If you are mainly interested in fishing still and calm waters as well (as opposed to the open ocean) I started with a Viking Espri which I still take out today when I can be bothered lifting the Viking Pro Fish. At well under $1000, the espri is very affordable as well. Vikings are also available through the AFO shop :)

If you browse through the Kayak Fishing section and the fishing reports sections here (which include dozens of Kayak reports) you will unlock a wealth of tips and locations.

Cheers and welcome to the site.

Angus

Having gone through this research myself it can be very confusing as there are many options.

However the best advice I could share is hire or test ride the Kayaks you are keen on. If paddeling is your thing then any of the Ocean Kayak Prowler series or Viking boats will do a great job. If peddeling is feels good for you then the Hobies are ideal and as a pure fishing kayak you cant go past the hands free casting ability of the hobies. Check out Noosa Fishing website - Bill Watson has a section on the site. That will get your blood pumping and Luguna Bay at Noosa in my mind is the best yakking spot I have been so far. Bill also is the agent for Perception Kayaks, he uses the swing model to awesome effect! For me I use my yak for fishing, fitness and in the future spearfishing.

Goes back to my first comment....check your budget....test drive and then go for it!

You don't have to spend a fortune either...I have seen guys on old style yaks for half the money mine is and they get better results.

Good Luck and tight lines!

BATMAN

yeboants wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to brisbane and the forum and been pondering buying a fishing kayak.

first things first i need to do the needed research.

firstly.. i live close to brisbane cbd, are there good places to fish on a kayak within 2 hours drive from brisbane?

fresh and saltwater - latter preffered. trolling and softbaits mostly.

i'm 5'7" and weigh 70kgs, not the biggest bloke :-)

what type of kayak would I be looking for that would suit me?

i'm very much interested in fishing the open seas (backline waters) - but this will come with time once more experienced.

also.. more links to kayaks, kayak fishing and clubs would be grately appreciated..and anything i might have missed.

thanks in advance

anton

As mentioned mate i own a Viking Profish, I'm 6.0' and 65kgs i can lift it on my own onto a wagon by myself, I can also stand up in it and cast a 10' cast net properly out of it. I have taken my profish offshore 2k's in 25knt winds (HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED) and it performed surperb, I have fitted a gps/sounder, live bait tank, ancour, night light, and adjustable rod holder, easy to manouver Never used the rudder and have surf launched several times, Never tried other yaks and Never want to, This yak does it all and there is more to come!

Biggles wrote:

pcsolutionman wrote:
Mate a couple of places to cheackout would be. all the info you will ever need

www.akff.net

www.kfdu.com.au

www.eckfc.com

Lee

All the info you will ever need, and then some. I agree.

Regards

Al

Yep definately agree with these guys. These 3 sites plus this one will house all the info you will ever need, and will answer most of the questions you will ever ask.

Within 2 hours you have an array of fishing available. I mainly go fresh so you have a wide variety of dams available. Another website to check out freshwater fishing is www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au. They have all the dams listed in Qld.

Salt water there is an endless array of fishing available. I started out in an Espri like Angus and found it handled all scenarios well, offshore(paddled to Peel in 1m swell) and creeks and dams. I have now upgraded to a hobie outback and I am loving it.

Just remember that it is 10% kayak and 90% fisherman. So your ability to catch fish is not limited by your kayak choice. It doesn't matter what you paddle if you are not a good fisherman than you won't catch fish.

WayneD wrote:

Just remember that it is 10% kayak and 90% fisherman. So your ability to catch fish is not limited by your kayak choice. It doesn't matter what you paddle if you are not a good fisherman than you won't catch fish.

Conditions can dictate whether you get any fishing done (other than trolling) in a given kayak, as Im' sure you have found out now Wayne with the Hobie :)

Wind doesn't put me off now, only when going offshore. But thats only because of swell.

Archived