ABT Borumba '08

bigtez

Thought I would post a short report about the BassPro held at Borumba last weekend (14-15 June).

There is a full report and results here

Here's my take on the weekend.

We arrived on Thursday night setup camp in the campground near the dam wall. On friday morning we got up had brekky rigged our rods and headed for the water for a prefish. We decided that we would have a go at some toga for a while as I have yet to see or catch one. After seeing a heap but not finding the hungry ones we looked for some bass. We returned to the ramp in the afternoon without a fish.

On Saturday I was paired with Adrian Melchior and we fished a bank near the split early in the morning session for one undersize fish. We then moved up into the left arm and fished a similar steep bank with shallower areas at either end for another undersize fish. While we were waiting for the start ealier we sat on a school of what looked like active fish so we decided we would try and get them to eat something in the last hour of that session but were unsuccessful.

In the afternoon session we went to the second bank we were at in the morning session and got another undersize fish. After that we moved up further in the left arm fishing a few banks along the way. While we were fishing on the opposite side to Baden Sparrow we had a heap of hits on a Mask Vib (black/red) and a R2S Chubby (black/clear) and on our second pass Adrian picked up a 790g fish and then lost his last Mask in that colour two casts later. We then headed back towards the ramp to make sure we weren't late back and fished another bank without luck.

On Sunday I was paired with Kerry Symes and we started out fishing some shallow weedy areas not to far from the start line. After fishing the first 70-80m of the bank another competitor decided they would fish about 40m ahead of us and proceeded to pull a fish on his 4th cast. We motored around him and fished the rest of that area and moved to another spot that proved to be unsuccessful. After Kerry said he was out of ideas and asked if I had any sugestions I described the type of land we got hits on the saturday and we moved to an area that Kerry thought was similar. Turned out it was the same bank we fished first up on Saturday. While hopping a R2S Glassie Vibe (black/clear) down the rock wall I hooked up to a solid fish that when it got near the boat it took a second big run for cover. Kerry called it for a good bass and grabbed the net. I got it to the surface only to discover it was an eeltail catty. We released it a kept moving along only to see Adrian and his day 2 partner. They told us that earlier that morning they had pulled 3 more legal fish from the bank Adrian and I fished sat afternoon. Kerry and fished a few more spots and came up fishless.

Overall it was a most enjoyable weekend and I learnt an awful lot from 2 very experienced bass anglers. I will definately be back to borumba in my own time for a fish and perhaps even hunt down some toga.

Terry

I rode in a Mako on Saturday with a Honda 90 on the back of it and it went like the clappers and rode a lot softer then I expected. I was very impressed with it for a tin boat, however I can't go passed a fast glass boat when the time to upgrade comes.

Archived