Yellowbelly

Aaron H

Hi everyone,

Have finally got the ok from my girlfriend to organise a camping trip for us for next weekend. I am really keen for a spot on a river where I can fish for yellowbelly and the other fish found in the western rivers as I used to love fishing the Murray Darling basin. My dilemma is where is there water and does anyone know of any spots within 3 to four hours from Brisbane. I was thinking about the Chinchilla, Dalby Oakey area or if thats dry maybe down near the border. Anyone have any knowledge on these areas that they could spare as my camping trips are few and far between these days (the curse of a girlfriend that likes five stars :( .)

Sounds like my wife, anything less than 3 stars IS \"camping\".

Plenty of impoundment spots, but you really need a boat or canoe, I am thinking Leslie dam (Warwick) or Coolmunda (Inglewood), or if you can stretch it to 4 hours, Glenlyon (west of Stanthorpe) all have been fishing well lately.

The Macintyre brook should also be good for a fish (anywhere between inglwood and Goondiwindi) which is in your 3 to 4 hour range, but better check there is water in there first!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/01 04:57

Why not just camp on the shore of a local dam like North Pine? North Pine Dam apparently has good fishing from the bank aswell as from a boat, kayak or canoe. At least you know there's water in there :P . As for rivers, well I don't really know since I'm new to Freshwater. Ray and Feral always have probably the better Freshwater info from this site so just do what they say :P .

Troy

Leslie dam was really good when we went there. Although we only caught three yellowbelly (after this guy told us to follow him)the guy who told us where to go was pulling in heaps. Probably got 40 in 30mins. We later found out he was using shrimp while we were using yabbies. But Leslie Dam isn't really the place a person who likes 5 stars would like to go. Fairly crappy, but fun.

Leslie is only 10 mintues or so out of Warwick, so you could stay in a cabin at the park in town, or even a motel room.

Glenlyon has good cabins on site, Coolmunda has a crappy van park away from the dam, but once again not far from Inglewood, the people at the Inglewood motel are really nice and do great feeds (It smy favorite Motel in Queensland, and I have staye din hundreds!) Its a bit old, but clean.

Both Glenlyon and Leslie are power boat allowed, I think Coolmunda is a s well but you would have to check.

If you wanted to chase Bass instead of Yella's you could camp at Monteville and fish Baroon. That would win you brownie points! Beautiful country.

Live shrimp is best bait at all spots!

Aaron H wrote:

Hi everyone,

Have finally got the ok from my girlfriend to organise a camping trip for us for next weekend. I am really keen for a spot on a river where I can fish for yellowbelly and the other fish found in the western rivers as I used to love fishing the Murray Darling basin. My dilemma is where is there water and does anyone know of any spots within 3 to four hours from Brisbane. I was thinking about the Chinchilla, Dalby Oakey area or if thats dry maybe down near the border. Anyone have any knowledge on these areas that they could spare as my camping trips are few and far between these days (the curse of a girlfriend that likes five stars :( .)

Ha here's the answer: maybe get a new girl friend and go fishing every weekend:P Just kidding Arron - I'm just as hen pecked:silly:

Have you thought about Hinze?

Brian, good to hear I am not the only one under the thumb, thanks for the tips guys, will have a scout around those places one thing I am hoping for is a bit of bush camping so I think the border rivers might be the go. Must be the country boy in me I love the bush, just got to train my girlfriend ;) last camping trip we had an issue with a gree tree frog in the old bush toilet block at Yarramalong, then my idiot mates proceed to tell her what chases tree frogs, has taken me six months to talk her into trying it again. Some fresh yellowbelly cooked on the coals with a side of yabbies might change her mind.

Archived