Goat, Peel, Coochie and Horseshoe Bay 290608

ellicat

After running around Saturday making sure it was safe to head to the Bay for the first time with the family since February, we put in at Viccy Pt before dawn on Sunday and came back in about 7:30/8:00pm.

Headed over to the first mark towards Nth Straddie with the rods all pre-rigged and ready to go. Went to get the bait out, but could only find the old bait that I'd intended for berley:blush: :angry: :whistle: Not a great start, clearly remembering getting it out of the fridge and putting it on the kitchen bench - couldn't wait to get home:unsure: :X :pinch:

Mitch not getting too many bites on the berley-

Mitchneargoat.jpg

So used the berley as bait for a while without a touch before finally discovering the fresh bait under the berley. Moved up to a spot near Goat and things were pretty quiet there too. We had a couple of bite-offs so put on some wire and landed a couple of baby bronzies. Took a snap of the first before letting it go. It was bleeding a bit but swam off strongly after having a few goes at me. Suspect with all the blood he may have been dinner for some larger toothies though :S

BleedingBronzie.jpg

Wasn't keen to keep catching them so we moved up and had a bit of an explore closer to Goat. First up was a grinner that was kept for bait, then managed the old faithful shovelly that was happy to pose for some photos and also impersonate me;) :laugh:

Shovellyfriend.jpg

Shovellyimpersonation2.jpg

Saw a few small tuna schools busting up and had a few casts at them but they were their usual flighty selves and moved as quick as they arrived.:(

So with not much biting we headed over to Horseshoe Bay to stretch the legs for a while and watch the tide come in over a cuppa coffee.

HSB3.jpg

Mitch scooped up a toadie there in the landing net to ensure he couldn't end the day with a donut:laugh: Dan got about collecting some soldier crabs.

Had a cast from the beach and managed a long tom which was fun and gave a bit of an aerial display on its way in. Chopped off his tail section to use as a floater bait.

Lay down on the beach and decided I didn't want to come back:( After a couple of hours I realised if I stayed I'd eventually run out of toilet paper, so we jumped back in and pottered out amongst the rocks and reef where Mitch picked up an undersize tarwhine and a moses perch pushing 30cm but released it. There were a few more longtoms around the boat that teased Mitch while the rest of us were getting snagged and reefed by the odd hit. So after I got sick of retieing rigs we headed back towards Coochie as the sun was setting and the water was getting a bit of a chop about it.

Stopped in on the North side of Coochie for a stab there. Dan managed a little grassy sweetlip and lost a better one shortly after that buckled his rod over in the holder but was gone by the time he grabbed the rod :evil:

DanGrassySweetlip1.jpg

Grassybaby.jpg

After dark we motored around and had a go near the Red Buoy where Shell got a few nibbles that came to nothing - so she finished the day with a donut. She's out of practice after a long lay off.

It was a long day on the water to vent some pent up boating and fishing for the family, but can't wait to do it again:)

post-564-144598461069_thumb.jpg

nice report ellicat!

we also didnt get much that day, we went from mud to morton to tangalooma to curtain then back to the port with only grinners a sole a squire of 34cm and a little rock whiting!

way too many boats out causing a bearly trail of fuel and wd40!:laugh:

cheers Ian

Anytime booty. It's not a hard patch to fathom - especially for a pin junkie like yourself.

Rumrunner, The boat traffic was reasonably quiet where we were, much to our surprise and delightB) . They must have all been where you were:laugh:

Thanks for the replies. As said it was great to finally get out and get back without mishap:woohoo: :laugh:

Cheers Chubbs....you gotta get one again now;)

The grinner wasn't used on the day DG89, but I've used them before. Caught sharks, shovellys, turtles:S , pinkies and unknowns;) . Have used them whole and sectioned. Could use strips as well (but I haven't yet).

I've heard reports that they're a decent troll bait for mackerel too.

Archived