Kayak advice?

Jspinner

Hey guys! I'm looking for a little advice. I've only just started to realise the quality of the fishing that can be had in and around the Brisbane area thanks solely to this particular website (Thanks AFO). Having lived in brisbane for the last four years without so much as wetting a line I must admit to feeling a deep sense of shame in supressing my "Inner Fisherman" and I'm looking to rectify the situation by buying myself a two seater Kayak. Problem is I know very little about them? From the research i've done it's a toss up between the Hobie kraft "outtfisher fish" or the Viking "Tempo fisherman II". I would greatly appreciate any input that can be offered.

Cheers!

both are great crafts mate

i own a hobie outback and a viking profish (both 1 seater models) and they are both good yaks

Hobies, have tha advantage of peddle power so you can travel further quicker without getting as tired.

Although, i like the deck layout of the vikings better

its a hard choice mate

goodluck

I fished from a Hobie Outfitter for a couple of months and absolutely loved it. Pedalling is worth the extra dollars up front.

We fished big bass lakes, cod rivers, etc, and found all day trolling sessions easy to handle.

Rarely having to put down the rod to pick up a paddle is just too convenient.

Works just fine one-up as well as with two on board.

Might have been the June Bush n Beach in which I wrote a field test report on the Outfitter.

mate, unless you absolutely have to be in the same yak, I reckon you'd be better getting two single seaters. The two profish on sale in a recent thread would be a perfect buy, or you could get a single profish and a nemo or something smaller for your second yak. That way when you're on your own you can choose your weapon and when your paddling partner ( assume wife/girlfriend ) is around they have an easier craft to handle/paddle in easy conditions ( dams, estuary, rivers ).

2 seater kayaks can be quite a mission for just one person.

Gee thats either a heavy bragmat or Tony is incredibly light to be using that as a weight for the front of the yak! :laugh:

Or

Haha, hows tony go getting that brag mat when he gets a fish? :laugh:

I'd recommend a couple of single seaters. As Schultzy mentioned not having to paddle and freeing up your arms for other things is way too convenient. I never want to go back to paddling

We are fishing from two singles now and they are the best option for two experienced anglers.

I actually miss the twin seater when fishing with inexperienced anglers or with the missus. I can set the trolling speed, steer the productive line, grab their fish, etc. So much so that I'm saving the readies to purchase an Outfitter. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/blue_hobie_7389.jpg

post-108-14459846662_thumb.jpg

I got into kayak fishing for fitness and upper body strength hence I have stuck with the Vikings and lately the Viking Profish. The Hobies are also a very popular model.

I love the Profish due to its storage right in front of you more than anything else. I like changing lures and I have use the live well as tackle bag storage!

If you want a double my mates Andrew and Julia bought a Tempo 2 and love it. They have the electric for it and it lasts all day without no worries. The few trips with him the paddles were not even used!

As has been stated though, unless you MUST fish in the same kayak I would get two single seaters. This is for all sorts of reasons such as stability, room, and of course it could get ugly with someone throwing lures around 2 meters behind your head!

I concur with UNT as well regarding the 2 pro fishes for sale. With the extras that come with those babies you are getting a great deal!

Angus

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm now leaning towards a couple of single seaters. I think the Hobies might be the better option for me too. Being able to fish and move without the need for a paddle sounds like a luxury I can't do without.

Thanks again and happy fishing!:)

Mate I currently have an Outfitter and it is great I easily use it by myself(just throw 5-10kg up front to keep the nose down) goes awesome, then throw the wife or a mate up front and you have a great day out with company on the water.

Peddling over paddling for fishing purposes is a great advantage and benefit of the Hobie Mirage drive syatem you can sit back have a drink work your rods all while peddling.

If you only have a small car the outfitter over 2 singles is the perfect craft.

Heath Hobie_018.JPG

• 2 months later...

Schultzy wrote:

We are fishing from two singles now and they are the best option for two experienced anglers.

I actually miss the twin seater when fishing with inexperienced anglers or with the missus. I can set the trolling speed, steer the productive line, grab their fish, etc. So much so that I'm saving the readies to purchase an Outfitter. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/blue_hobie_7389.jpg

how the hell did this one get past me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived