Shimano Core VS Alphas R-Edition

Dan23

I prefer Daiwa baitcasters but I need a reel in black that is light weight and has a decent drag, so it seems the Core is the only reel on the market that fits the criteria.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has owned one and has an opinion on them. I've played with one in a store and used an MG7 which is a similar reel but the JDM version.

It'll be matched up with a new rod I'm getting that is pretty high end:blush:

I was looking at one of these when they first came out but everyone seemed to steer me away from it and I ended up with a zillion - which is an absolutely awesome reel! If it's gotta be black then the steez is one from the daiwa stable u could look at. Nearly twice the price but lol. And steez BC are freshwater only which is a bummer

If it's gotta be black then the steez is one from the daiwa stable u could look at. Nearly twice the price but lol. And steez BC are freshwater only which is a bummer

isnt the core a magnesium reel aswell?

and theres nothing wrong with being an addict fishyman lol

but dan if the core is the only reel that matches your criteria then you should get it, i dont think there is anything wrong with them except the fact that it isnt a daiwa

Tom B wrote:

If it's gotta be black then the steez is one from the daiwa stable u could look at. Nearly twice the price but lol. And steez BC are freshwater only which is a bummer

isnt the core a magnesium reel aswell?

Yeah it surely is. But I'd dare say if you were really anal about keeping it in good nick and kept it serviced u wouldn't have a problem.

Dan23 wrote:

Yeah Tom the Core is MG but it is SW ok as long as I don't scratch it up too badly

Yeah thats what I've heard. Once magnesium reels are deeply scratched the protective coating would be comprimised and leaves the salt to do the rest!

Dan23 wrote:

That's actually the reason I want an MG reel, I'm starting to get aches in my wrist from all the fishing but it only happens when using my Advantage and not with any of my spinning gear.

I tend to find if I fish for a long periods of time with BC I get that too. My wrist was killing after a day at the barra park up at bli bli

fishyman wrote:

i find alot comes down to the rod aswell, i hate BC rods i with tiny grips, a nice long grip you can tuck under your arm is so comfortable with a fish on the end.

Yes i agree, long rear grip is a MUST on BC. Split butt is the go........hmmmmm split-butt

Starting to reconsider after finding out the Alphas R-Edition is salt water ok. It has the same weight as Core and isn't MG so no stress about scratching it. If I get one I'll change out the knobs for black ones and maybe change out the side plate to match up with my IMX better.

Dan23 wrote:

That's actually the reason I want an MG reel, I'm starting to get aches in my wrist from all the fishing but it only happens when using my Advantage and not with any of my spinning gear.

hit the gym... do some deadlifts and weighted wide grip chins. :laugh:

Archived