My first Brisbane River catches!

brisbanebound

Sorry ive no pics but have yet to get the internet sorted at the new flat, currently posting from an internet cafe in the valley.

On Sunday I bought a couple of cheap rods from BigW's in the city along with a load of sp's and general tackle to get you started.

Me and the missus went along to Manly for the day were I tried a bit of squidding with a squid jig and ledgering with some squid.

Didnt catch a thing but look forward to fishing Manly when I have a bit more experience as I was propbably at the wrong place (It seemed very shallow even for low tide).

We have recently moved into a new flat in New Farm right on the river, so when we got home I thought I would give the river a go for the first time from the cycle path.

After 30 mins my 4 foot cheap BigW rod bent over and made like it was heading into the river!

After a few minutes I eventually landed what at first I thought was a catfish but was infact a lovely big cod! Bang on 36cm and at least 2Ib I reckon.

It was caught with a bit of fresh squid and fresh prawn that was meant for our dinner.

Cooked it up on Monday night and hand on heart that has to be one of the nicest tasting fish ive ever eaten, it was sensational!

Tough bugger as well, it ended up cutting my thumb up real bad and I started to beleive I was going to die of some tropical disease, being Australian and that. Thanfully a text to Angus reassured me that I would live to fight another day. :blush:

On the Monday night I went out again and caught my first catfish. Decent fish but man was he ugly. Half his face was missing but he gave a decent scrap before being returned unharmed back to the river.

Again sorry for no pics they are on the missus's camera but once we are up and running at the end of the months will keep up to date with reports.

In the meantime if anyone is going fishing round New Farm let me know and Id be keen to join youse. I am still at the novice stage for the river so am keen to learn a few things.

Like how you catch live baits and what gear is the best, what bait for certain species etc.

For now, take care and tight lines wherever you are fishing!

Jamie

P.S. How big do the cod get? If that was just legal I would love to catch a really big one!

I was out on a stag do last with 10 Aussie's. Only one of them beleived me that I caught a cod on the river. It was unbeleivable, one o0f them even got a bit narky thinking I was taking the piss!

Yeah I really need to get a landing net, although I dont really know a good tackle store.

I will be without a car for the next month so if anyone can recommend a good store thats accessible to New Farm would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt mind trying some different bait, like worms and mullett. there are a heap of Bream under the cycleway but ive had no luck hooking up any of them.

A boy caught 20 the other night and some of them were very big, he was using worm.

Would you be able to use these casting nets from the bank? I ordered a crab pot so im looking forward to trying to get some prawns and crabs next week. Ill be down every night that Pop Idol crap starts next week and the missus is obsessed with it. :dry:

Take it easy and cheers for the replies.

Im thinking of booking a charter this sataraday if anyones interested give me a PM or a text

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie

Mate tackle wise, check out the International Boating and fishing show. Starts next this wednesday at the convention centre. You can catch a city cat ferry right to the door pretty much.

They usually have decent deals on rods and reels etc plus great demonstrations and talks by anglers about a wide range of topics.

Cheers.

Oh and im not surprised about the reaction at the bucks. Despite sites like this being out there, the Brisbane with is viewed with sceptism by many. Just send them on here and they will be quickly shut down :P

Angus

Jones Tackle is at Lutwyche which is pretty easy to get to from new farm get a bus upto the valley then from the valley to lutwyche or maybe direct who knows. Jones tackle is on sandgate rd and sadly u will get crabs with the crab pot but prawns u get from a cast net, The cast nets are probly $60-$70 and IMO a beginner is best with a 10ft net, If u want prawns as well as bait then a Top Pocket net can help and these are a bit dearer. U can use the castnet from the bank but be extremely careful with snags, Pontoons and jettys are alot better for castnetting because u get in alot deeper water. Angus is right about the boat show however if just going for tackle its a bit exxy because its $20 or so to get in, Generally Their is not a huge range but its very cheap, Not the best brands or anything but most of the rods are around $30 or so and i even saw some for $12 last year, Their perfect for drowning bait. Hope this helps you out mate.

nice to see,, lol, there are some quite suprising fish lurking in that river ;)

anyways word is that the fishing has just picked up and there are a few flathead on the bite at the moment being caught on soft plastics ;)

I always have some luck fishing structure on a run out tide, the flattys seem to hang around the outskirts of those places.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Angus wrote:

Mate try this. This is the AFO Image resizer.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&Itemid=&gid=68&orderby=dmdate_published&ascdesc=DESC

Cheers for the link.

Laptop broke now, nightmare!! Aleasha's mum sending over a new one next week, cant beleive the hassle ive had with PC's!! :(

Cod eat just about anything :S. Maybe not vegaterian stuff like weed. Lures are the best way to catch them becuase they cover more snags, however big cod love big livebaits if you wana target the giant cod, 30cm+ whole live mullet would not be out of place. As long as the lure looks slightly real, and is strong enough and dives deep enough for where the cod live, they will eat it.

Here we go again, back online.. cod-8a3247c8e16ebf646898319af564a9fb.jpg

Apologies for the ugly mug but I was in considerable pain!! The cod nearly had my finger off!! :blush:

Caught a massive Pike Eel last night, had to cut the line, was easily 10pounds plus, biggest eel ive ever seen in real life.

No pics im afraid, only on my phone which I sent to Angus, too fuzzy and doesnt do it justice.

Got some whitebait and worms along with some decent tackle so will be doing an allnighter tomorrow!! B)

post-1096-144598471847_thumb.jpg

namyau wrote:

not bad mate soon you'll be posting more and more picks of your catches heheheh. the brissie river is really a hidden secret. where will you be fishing tomorrow night? i think ill be trying around newstead park tomorrow for a few hrs

Going to go to New Farm Park as its nearer, take a few beers and the missus is taking a bottle of vino. Going to have a late one as no work on Sat! B)

Armadilloslim wrote:

Hey Jamie,

I'm a journo at the Courier-Mail doing a story about people fishing in the Brisbane River. Would it be possible to interview you for it?

My number is 0422 985 155.

Cheers,

Matt

Mate most of the people on here fish the Brisbane River

Archived