Mixing it up in the Pine River

sax

Hello all!

Me and some mates have been fishing the pine river land based over the last few weeks. We have been going under the highway bridge, just throwing frozen prawns and Gulp 3" minnows at the pillons.

So far its been a good laugh, a few small bream and whiting. But not anything big enough to offer a real thrill.

So on the weekend I decided Id use some of the smaller whiting as livies and throw them into what appeared to be a patch of deep water nearby. No Luck unfortunatly

Can Someone tell me if this technique is going to produce fish or should we be trying something completely different? live prawns for example?

Any info would be great!

Andy

G'day Andy,

My son and I try down there quite often, (have a house in the patch there).

We have tried many different baits from frozen prawns, pillies, herring, mullet strips and even steak. Most times we catch something, (mostly bream, flatties, salmon and catties). I have heard of some big bustoffs near the bridge. Just keep trying with different baits as some times prawns are the go, other times pillies and mullet are on the go.

Now that it is starting to warm up the muddies will start to show, hopefully.

Let us know when you head down there next time and will catch up.

Cheers

Vonny

If u want to catch fish DONT FISH THE PINE. Its just way to much hard work to catch a fish. I've been fishing there since 93 and haven't caught anything decent since 2002.

I went up last week and spent 9hrs on the water and caught a toadfish and 2 diver whiting

The river has been cleaned out over the years and we should close it to fisherman and let it rejuvenate.

Yep im all for closing different areas for 6months at a time over a greenzones etc.

It would be good if every 5 years or so a different area of water was closed to fishing for 6months, Jumpinpin then Pumicestone passage then somewhere else. It would be so much more beneficial and we can still fish the places around it while its off limits I.E while the bribie area of pumicestone is closed fish from donnybrook north etc etc or Fish up towards the river mouth when Jumpinpin is closed. I'd be all for that system.

i agree with you 100%, but unfortunately the problem lies with factors that are out of control, eg. those who will continue to fish the closed areas, and the policing, which is piss poor at the best of times, 10 years of fishing offshore and around brisbane, in the bay and been checked once. a bloody joke if you ask me. mate we the little people never have and never will have our opinions heard, after all we, the people that do fish a lot of the time do seem to notice things from time to time, frustrating i know but at the end of the day, the only people that actually listen are other fishermen, just wait till the new regulations come in for snapper:(

ye rim all for doing SUMTHIGN to ease the squeeze on the mairne environment (even our normal environment for that matter)

completely closing the pine for 6 months would be good, for a whole year would be better- well at leats till deepwater bend ot keep th eboat hirers in business.

wat are these new snapper regulations?

Ok so the verdict is that Pine River is a bit over fished.:S

I live in Paddo and am happy to travel for quality fish.

The spots ive been fishing lately are Pine River, Pinkenba and Nudgee Beach all with similiar results. (small bream and whiting with the odd keepable catch). Any suggestions for land based spots that might produce some bigger fish or different species of fish? :) sorry to be so vague..

speaking to a mate,who is a pro fisher that fishes fraser a lot for snapper pearl pearch ans red emperor said, bag limits on a boat instead of per person, maybe. 5 per person if NOT in a boat, but 2 have got to be over a sertain size, and 3 to be a certain size, to be honest i didn't take too much notice, but he said it is in the works now, imagine the powers that be trying to police that

sax wrote:

Ok so the verdict is that Pine River is a bit over fished.:S

I live in Paddo and am happy to travel for quality fish.

The spots ive been fishing lately are Pine River, Pinkenba and Nudgee Beach all with similiar results. (small bream and whiting with the odd keepable catch). Any suggestions for land based spots that might produce some bigger fish or different species of fish? :) sorry to be so vague..

mate goodluck seriously i think brisbane is overfished, however it makes the one off catches all the more satisfing, I have fished the pine in my yak several times and had fun at least catching little jewies, whiting bream and flatties but i am in a yak or boat now.

to naswer your question - live whiting are a great bait for flathead, tailor, threadies, jewies - most big stuff in a system. please be aware that diver whiting are the only whiting that is legally allowed to be used as a live bait at small sizes (summer/sand whiting have a legal size of 23cm, this includes being used as live bait). easy to spot the difference, if it has blotches chuck it on a hook and good luck!

Guys

Has anyone tried the submerged wreck about 100m up stream of the Bridge?

It runs perpendicular to the bank out to the red marker. I'm not sure about whether the bank there is private property or not but I doubt it.

Last year I was up there and ran the sounder over the length of the wreck and there were some good fish showing close to the bank (3-5m out).

It would have to hold some Jack or a lazy old cod.

As it turned out one good bustup (one a stinky old prawn)then Zip

There were plenty of ski boats about that day.

Archived