Hello everyone

Hoops

Just introducing myself.

Names Leon and Ive recently emigrated from the UK (London).I havent fished for ages ,I used to be into course fishing and a bit of match.Once I've settled into things over here I'm deffinately going to chuck a line or two into the ocean and maybe the Brisbane river.I've never done any sea fishing before so I am completely clueless.:unsure:.

The Mrs has got me a gift voucher for 150 bucks for Super A mart sports..Will this be enough to get me a start up kit .Nothing fancy.Just probably something to chuck a lure or small bait off Bribie Island while Mrs and kids are messing about in the water...

Also do you need liscences to fish over here ..?/

Hoops

Great site by the way

Guest IcEkNiGhT

no licence needed to fish the beaches over here. altho im not 100% sure but some of the impoundments/dams. i think you might need licences. as for what rod reel to pick it really depends on if your fishing from beach or jettys. if it was me id probably pick an abu 6500 reel then match it to a rod.. but it really depends on personal preferance. some of the shimano combos arnt too bad for price and durability. but i have not bought any for quite sometime so i have no idear what they really got on the market at present. just stick to the well known brands and something to suit your needs and you cant really go wrong.

Mate you will get a reasonable combo from amart starting around half of your voucher amount, going up from there. I would not bother buying anything \"big brand name\" until you are sure on what type of fishing you want to do, and then only if you get really serious.

I'd start out with a 7 foot rod and spinning reel, some plastics, some long shank hooks, 8lb line, and see how you go from there.

Hey Hoops

Welcome to you and your family.

Feral is pretty spot on with the outfit. But no to the wire traces. The main reason, from my view is, if you hook something that requires wire with that outfit you will be better not fighting it too long or it will stuff your drag and could break your rod if the line holds.

What you should target is whiting, bream and flatties for the momment. These are our \"Bread and Butter\" species.

Here's a tip to get your kidds excited about fishing. I used to, at high tide, go to a jetty or pontoon , burley up with bread and using a hand line and no sinker, roll a bit of bread onto the hook and chuck it in. It never fails and the kids love it.

Also try a herring jig - that's fun too and gives you some bait for your new combo.

Total cost of the hand line and bread with jig is about $10. I used to buy 6lb line and roll it around coke bottles to mahe a line for each kid.

Don't forget the slip slop slap

When you say Super Amart Sports, you mean Amart All Sports don't you. You can get heaps of good combos from there. For the start, don't try for any big river species (like sharks), just go fishing at beaches and unless you really like lure fishing, just go bait fishing for the start, it get your knowledge of the general area up.

I through a line in off the rock wall adjacent to the yacht squadran at Manly yesterday, had a bit of luck with the old 7\" rod on 6Lb line, The whiting seemed to love the worm and prawns, stayed away from the mullet and squid though.....Only good for about an hour each side of the high tide as it is all shallow mud flats there...I would start with easy to access places like this one with a simple setup...like wat feral recommended....good luck!

Thanks to all your replys.I'll keep it simple to start with and stick to the littluns.Me and a few other Poms are definately gonna charter a trip and try and have some fun with the bigger stuff.Any of you fellas know of some good deals ?.BK's looks good but some of the lads might want something nearer Redcliff way.

Archived