Fraser Island

Coochin41

Myself and a couple of mates fished Fraser Island recently on our yearly pilgrimmage. The fishing , like the weather was very ordinary. 20/30 knot South Easters first and when the wind changed to the North East the mongrel weed set in again. To top it all off regular showers and rain squalls kept coming all week. A couple of big tailor and an XOS Tarwhine were the highlights of the week , unless you count a Chopper falling out of the sky in front of camp and having to be towed up out of the water with the cruiser.Maybe next year;) [img size=265]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Fraser_Tarwhine.jpg

post-149-14459839975_thumb.jpg

Nice work Wayne.

although i always seem to see more Braem in photo's i have always easily caught as many Tarwhine off the beach and rocks especially at Straddy. Great fighting fish and those XOS ones like in your picture are great fun arent they. Nice report.

Angus.

Tim thats pretty much it.

It also has horizontal yellow stripes which are not very clear in that pic.

The prominance of these stripes varies from fish to fish however and is sometimes almost non existant. Seems to be stronger on younger fish.

As for XOS = Basically Very Big!

ive hardly caught any legal tarwhine... it seems you normally get very small to medium sized ones in estuarys and the further you move to the coast line and out onto the bay people seem to get bigger ones... when i lived at nudgee beach we used to get small ones in the cast net and on bait in the canal and the creek further towards shorncliffe from the canal... and when we went out on the boat we would get much bigger ones...

that tarwhine is probably one of the best ones ive seen

and thanks for the XOS info.... just one more thing... how do you get \"big\" out of XOS??? :?

troy

Archived