Scratched Transducer

FishTank

Hey Fish Tank,

I have had scratches on my transducers before and it had no problems. 

How is it reading, what is the problem?

How bad are the scratches?

Could they be causing cavitation and putting air bubbles under it? 

Could you lightly sand it back and give a coat of epoxy? Actually that is not good advice... I have no idea if that would work... :no:

Have you checked that it hasn't bumped out of position? 

As @dropbear said, it all depends of the size and depth of the scratches. From what I've heard superficial scratches will not affect a transducer in anyway. I have also heard that sanding them down won't hurt either. Don't use anything powered, just start with 300 grit, then 800, then 1200.

Hey there boys (Drop Bear an Tybo) thanks for the input. it puts my mind at rest abit that I may not be up for new transducer, If I can even find one? I like the cavitation input D.B. Will take all info into consideration, also you boys seem to have your fingers on the boating pulse? Whats your thoughts on a soft deck repair? ( I purchased this boat 3mths ago, took a marine mechanic to do a once over and he , me also missed soft floor) I am very practicle and tool savvy (luckily). I will use over xmas and take on repairs  in cooler weather.

20170826_083756.jpg

Hey D.B

thanks mate, Georges river flower power ramp had a great run out to the bay .I will post some pics of floor howevr it doesnt show much, But will show the deck configeration, ( previosly Hamilton jet recon to outboard on transom pod) I reckon on cutting out deck starboard side as its seems to be the area of concern, really soft under glass. also getting timber fragments( rot) through bung holes...sure sign of need to do something!!! first of endoscope??? up bung to TRY to determin extent of damage! I do not want to cut holes in her BUT !!!! I dont believe drilling and injection will solve the problem!

8 hours ago, FishTank said:

, really soft under glass.

Ok mate I'm sorry but this is beyond my skill level. That stuff can hold the boat together so needs to be sorted out professionally. 

There are lots of boat builders around. It is a reasonably simple job but needs to be taken seriously. 

All the best and let us know how you go. Journals are great to read. I'd love to see progress photos etc. 

DB

Archived