Need Help Identifying An Old Setup

Logan J

Hi all 

need help identifying an old rig of my brothers, just wanna know if its any good. From what i can see the reels are both shimano, one is an alivio 6000 and one is a aernos xt ? and the rod is a shimano spectrum plus, just wondering how good a setup it is and what it would be used for i think the rod is meant to be for fishing off the beach not sure about the reels though .

thanks from Logan 

IMG_20171229_145700.jpg

IMG_20171229_145821.jpg

IMG_20171229_145550.jpg

IMG_20171229_145846.jpg

Both reels and rod are on the Shimano lower cost end of their scale, think of them as Big W/Kmart top end models ;). If looked after and used with in their cost/quality factor, there is life in them though not ideal equipment for over all enjoyment and results. Over kill for bread and butter species, but would handle the average tailor, flathead etc from the beach. No offence meant but in reality, would be classed as 'general all purpose' set ups for flogging baits off a beach, bought by someone who has limited fishing knowledge. :)  Most without knowledgeable fishing mentors started there, even quite a few wise gurus on here. :lol: 

As @Gad said, lower end cheaper reels. Both will take a heap of abuse as their components are very simple, but will be a complete write-off once one little thing on them breaks. I have a tin in the shed that has a few of these broken down into parts, of which I've tried to bastardise into one reel without luck. I have few that are still in working order, that I have loaded with 4-6kg mono, that I give to (not yet trusted with a decent setup) friends who come fishing with me from time to time. Great for flathead and squire fishing, just don't do the drag up too much, as they're smooth as 400 grit sandpaper, and a tight drag will often cost you fish.

2 hours ago, Gad said:

Both reels and rod are on the Shimano lower cost end of their scale, think of them as Big W/Kmart top end models ;). If looked after and used with in their cost/quality factor, there is life in them though not ideal equipment for over all enjoyment and results. Over kill for bread and butter species, but would handle the average tailor, flathead etc from the beach. No offence meant but in reality, would be classed as 'general all purpose' set ups for flogging baits off a beach, bought by someone who has limited fishing knowledge. :)  Most without knowledgeable fishing mentors started there, even quite a few wise gurus on here. :lol: 

awesome thanks for the info and don't worry @Gad no offense was taken you pretty much just perfectly described my brother :lol: and yup so over all just an old tank of a rod that's good to let friends and family use, that's perfect as iv just bought my first decent set up myself (nordic stage favorite and a daiwa bg 3000 reel ) so thanks for the replys .:1311_thumbsup_tone2:

cheers Logan, I was not trying to say that all economical reels are crap, but most do need to be used within their range/price rating and after saltwater use, need to be properly rinsed off, checked over for any left over salt/sand and left to dry off in a shady area before being put away (just like a $$$$$ reel) same with the rod. Take the spool off and check inside it for/water sand, check around the spindle and base, every couple of months  wipe off and give the spindle a smear of a light reel grease, once a year take side plate off and check there is a light layer of grease around the gears. By doing this your economimical reel should turn out to be value for little $$$.

My kids (some, well into their 30`s now) all started out with Shimano rear drag IX/R 2000`s and 4000`s (still available 29.95) the grandkids are now using them as they gain experience/knowledge, so they do last with little care.

Guest Kendaric

The Aernos XT in the 2000 and 4000 where actually a pretty good reel in these smaller sizes, despite them being at the lower/mid (mid for back then) price bracket.  I liked the simple gearing as there is less to go wrong than with the upper price bracket worm gearing.  Many of these price bracket Shimano reels had interchangeable parts, and this has been the case for years, or at least it use to be.  That's the one thing that annoys me about Shimano threadlines, they seem to changes most of their models every year, and currently most are getting uglier and uglier. The original Sustain was a cosmetically well balanced reel.  

Like Gad said, do the maintance.

cheers guys thanks for all the info about the gear and correct me if i'm wrong, but what i understand is there basically a pretty cheap setup that if cared for and used correctly will last a good amount of time, and be a good spare to have in the arsenal correct ?

(to be honest when i found this gear in our storage shed the weren't in good nick still had sand and salt/grime on them from over a year ago i gave them a good clean and greased them up and they seem to be running fairly cleanly now so thanks for the advice:1311_thumbsup_tone2:)

Archived