Noosa Everglades Trip Report

JohnTheFisherman

Just a quick report from the weekend gone. My father and I went up to Harrys Hut in the upper reaches of the Noosa Everglades with our yaks. This is probably one of my personal favourite spots, not because of the fishing so much, but because the area is stunningly beautiful, remote and unlike anything else in SEQ. It was also really nice to spend some time with my dad. This was my 3rd trip here in the past 12 months, this time just 4 days shy of the bass closure season.

Anyways on the Friday i went for a few hours... took until about 4pm and 1.5km from Harry's until I hooked up on my first small bass. Just a little fella, but typical very dark specimen from this region. After another hour caught another 2 bass... all on my small yellowish 'Z' lure... not sure of the brand but I'd used this same lure past couple of trips and caught over 20 bass with it. It dives to about 60cm and works real good on a slow jagged retrieve cast near the snags.

Next day had a late start after a night full of rain, leaking tent, soaked pillow and no sleep. 9am straight out from Harry's was surprised to pick up a small bass 30 seconds after casting in the middle of the river for the sake of having a line in the water trolling until the first fishing spot. Went another hour drifting with the wind casting to snags in close until dad had enough and went back in. After he left I caught 3 bass in quick succession from about 500m to camp site 1. Although they were all small (25cm or so) it was still very nice. 2 of them I saw hit my little shallow diving lure which is certainly exciting fishing.

All up it was a fun little 2 night camping camping trip, and although the fishing wasn't phenomenal, I would highly highly recommend this area to anyone who enjoys nature and doing some fishing as a way of experiencing this pristine magical area.

10 minutes ago, fishinfox said:

Sounds like a good trip. Yep it really is a stunning place to fish and makes up for slow fishing days. Went up there a couple of years ago and managed 1 bass on the surface but hopefully heading back there

later this year to do a bit better.

Yep sure is a beautiful spot. The warmer months seem to fish better, particularly low light with poppers for surface action. Maybe one day will be lucky to catch a Barra there... quite a few people have now apparently.

5 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I am spending xmas up there this year so would be keen to have a crack up there. @Angus is this the right fork when we went left?

I have the electric going so hopefully I can have a good trip. 

If you have an electric and are spending a few days there in summer, I would highly recommend going down to the mouth of Kin Kin creek near the visitor information Center (even camp at Fig tree point close there) and fish there near the junction as it is one of the best jack spots I know. Changing tide low and no light is awesome.

11 hours ago, JohnTheFisherman said:

If you have an electric and are spending a few days there in summer, I would highly recommend going down to the mouth of Kin Kin creek near the visitor information Center (even camp at Fig tree point close there) and fish there near the junction as it is one of the best jack spots I know. Changing tide low and no light is awesome.

That is a great tip. I will do this for sure. I will probably need to get away from the outlaws at some stage :)

Do you have any info on where to camp? Google had no luck. 

On 29/05/2018 at 7:48 AM, Drop Bear said:

"closed season on bass throughout Queensland tidal waters from 1 June to 31 August"

Does anyone know where the tidal waters start/finish on Noosa River?

This is a newish rule I believe - not long ago I think it was closed for all bass fishing between June 1st to August 31st - maybe with the exception of impoundments? I am not sure however, so don't quote me.

Either way I am not 100% certain if Harry's Hut is considered a 'tidal' area. I know people catch Jacks here so I thought it may be slightly tidal? Not far downstream at Kin Kin creek mouth it is definitely tidal and brackish. Qld Fisheries maybe should have some sort of map where the 'tidal' zone ends, especially for popular areas.

Archived